Replacement door

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Need to replace the back door on my house. Went looking at steel clad doors and someone mentioned using fiberflass. They said the fiberglass was better than a steel clad. This is a pre-hung exterior door. Anyone have any knowledge of fiberglass doors? What type door would you recommend? Wood is most likely out of the budget.

2. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

We had an old back sliding glass door to replace and we got the Peachtree steel clad double door unit and set into a wood frame. Has an adjustable soffit and one of the doors is stationary, while the other door opens into the house. We've had this door for almost 20 years now, and never had a problem other than having to replace a worn out handle last year. I didn't have anything to do with the painting of the door as our neighbor is a painter and does all this for us in return for cured hams. But our door unit is painted to match the interior and exterior of the house. Has held the paint good and is easy to clean. We've never had any fiberglass doors.

also, our doors have large windows built in. The glass is thermal double paned. We use mini blinds inside on these windowed doors. Gives us a good view of the farms behind us and can close the blinds at night for privacy.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

A friend of mine has a new fiberglass door. Looks nice. I have only had wood or steel clad. My dog was shut up in the house and wanted out once and tore the steel clading off. Border collie mix. Wanted her to stay home for once while I went to town and she had other ideas.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Fiberglass is usually textured like real wood and can be stained. To me they have a quieter sound when closed.

mikell

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: When we went to buy exterior doors a couple of years ago my DH really wanted fiberglass for the wood look. Of course his wife decided we could not afford 500 per door so we ended up with some nice looking steal doors. I painted the exterior to look like wood complete with grain so DH is happy. Up here in Montana the door sills get frosty on the inside when we hit minus 30 but the door itself does not get cold at all. Ours have some kind of magnetic thing to do with closing but they are not loud or funny sounding. After three rugged weather years they are still looking fine and working fine.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We have a steel door with big paned windows. It was affordable.

The best thing we did was to spend $100 and have an autobody shop paint it for us. It holds a fresh shine with no maintenance needed.
    We really love it mostly because it only needs wiped down on occassion. The dogs haven't harmed it in their comings and goings either.

7. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

I think the biggest complaint with steel doors is that when they get banged up, you have to fix it as though you were fixing dents in your car. You have to sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint. With fiberglass, you never have that problem. Unless you have a major hit to your door, which the frame is probably going to give before the door.

I've got a steel door leading to my garage and the laundry room door is at an immediate right angle to it. The door has a line of dings start about the center leading to the knob.

8. Beware of Peachtree doors. They talk a big game about how great their waranty is, but it does not cover their jambs. I have seen examples of Peachtree's lower jambs rotting way before their time.

See this link for an example:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/doors/repairs/jamb/rot/wood.htm

My own house has peachtree sliding glass doors. I had to replace one entirely because the seal leaked and moisture got in between the panes of glass. The other one rotted though at the base of the trim and I'm in the middle of replacing both trimmer studs. Huge pain in the neck.

I'm not a fan of metal doors for residential use, as they do tend to get dented and good luck fixing them. Around here we've got an architectural salvage store run by Habitat for Humanity. Lots of building material donated that contractors had left over from a job as well as stuff that was torn out in demolition and is still useful. You can usually find a good assortment of wood or metal front doors going for between $10 - $50, depending on whether it's prehung and how nice it is. If you've got something like that nearby, you might want to have a look.

-Jack_Cville

9. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Our pre-owned house came with steel doors. The back door gets the winter wind and wet, and was rusty. Used rust patching from auto dept for 10 years; it needed attention annually, and finally was beyond repair.We got a fiberglassdoor and are very happy with it. It will not rust, ding, dent, or rot. The sill and lower frame are of a plastic stuff that will not rust, ding, dent or rot.
    It was more pricey than the steel doors, but I am looking forward to many years of rust and ding free use.

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Found a place that had plenty of doors on display to look at. I was going to comment on his nice wood doors when he told me they were fiberglass. I'm sold on the fiberglass and the price isn't that much more than steel. I've got 3 steel clad doors now and they've got dings and dents from use.

11. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I work at Menards in the Millwork department. I havent had too much experience with the doors them selves (like using them every day). But we 2 kinds of fiberglass. The steel doors are going to be the cheapest. Next from there is smooth fiberglass. This has the same insulation, but a slightly higher r value (because fiberglass doesnt carry cold, like steel does) If you want a white door, this is what I would reccomend. Its harder to dent, and if it scratches (within a reasonable amout) it will still be white. 3rd is the wood grain fiberglass. These are what most of you were talking about, where you can stain them just like wood, and they turn out really well. One step up from there is Oak and Steel. Oak on the inside, steel on the outside. And beyond that you get wood. The fiberglass doors we stock also come with a maintenace free frame and brickmould (at least the smooth ones). I would reccomend getting a smooth fiberglass door, they are priced pretty similar to steel. You can order them with many of the same lites as steel. If you goto a menards, and possibly other places, there is a mastercraft design program. It is almost exactly like our ordering program and it will walk you though all the steps. Then it will print out a quote with a price, picture, and a list of options you chose. Good Luck.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our builder put fiberglass instead of his usual steel clad doors in our new house and I love them. They were stained to match my trim and look gorgeous. The steel clad would have been painted and they scratch and dent real bad. Having a dog who "body slams" the door to let you know he wants in would have been very bad on the steel clad. As for the fiberglass...the only thing he does to them is leave streaks of mud.

I vote for fiberglass.