Replacement cost of a chicken????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'm so ticked!!!! My son just called me and said that some dogs were loose again (this is in a fairly large town) and came to my house. They killed all six of my 2-1/2 month old chickens!!!

I bought and raised these from day-old chicks. They were buff orphington's bought specifically for laying eggs and raising more chicks. They were in a small enclosed pen in the back yard. The dogs couldn't get into the "big girls" pen, so left those 4 alone.

The police and dog warden are on their way over to take pictures of the carnage. Dead chickens all over. Supposedly, I'll be compensated for the loss, but how do you decide the loss??

I paid only $1 each for the babies, but the food costs, the care, the loss of income..... how do you figure that???? Plus, I can't buy any more day-olds until next spring!!!!!

Worst is the feeling of loss. I'll really miss watching them. The rooster was just starting to make funny noises, and the girls were were sweet.

Any idea of where I should start????

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You will need to take into consideration how difficult it will be to replace these chickens. You can't get babies ordered and raised to laying age before fall. Buying started Buff pullets now would be like trying find hens teeth. I'd hold out for at least $10 each.

3. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

Well you'll have to add up a few things.
    1 purchase price
    2 feed cost to feed them up untill this point

that is being pretty realistic, but if you sell eggs you could go as far as figuring out what kind of sales you may have lost for the year from those chickens.

4. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

What Uncle Will said.
    Sorry this had to happen to you.

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear this---------There is no reasonable amount of money that can replace they---If you were attached to them, but I have 50 that are just before starting to lay and my roosters are attempting to crow---funny sound. I would sale mine for $5 each(not attached)---and that would be tops around here. If you were attached to them and had them named---I would want $50 for Sam, $40 for Lulu $30 each for Girly, Susie, Top Hat, Speckle, etc. Good Luck!! Randy

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

deleted found different reference in article

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Oh my goodness... that's MY website!

We change basically a discounted rate for an "off leash and out of control dog." You can either pay the town the $75 fine.. or pay $50 for one of my chickens. Pick one. But you're going to pay someone.

It helps that we've got a leash law and police willing to enforce it. Especially if the dog has just killed livestock.

9. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Replacement cost - COULD - include all or some of the following:

1. Actual cost of another chick
    2. Raising cost to age lost
    3. Lost opportunity (eggs this year etc)

If you intended to eat the eggs here... at 8 months they would lay... around Feb next year as it warmed up... perhaps 18 eggs a month each. Price 'em out. Then, you cannot get new chicks until Feb next year (likely), could be a delta of 8 mo or so... 2.5 mo at the least. 18 eggs per chicken per month... 45 x 6 = 270 eggs... and so on.

R

10. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Yer famous! I googled "raising chickens" got your site, and enjoyed every word. Thanks for making the effort, it is very informative, and VERY well-written.

I just luv this intarweb thingy!

11. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

I'd make them buy me however many pullet chicks you had and a bag of starter. atleast. I'd go thru Ideal-poultry. cause you can get so many of the sex you want and make them pay.

Arlod2

12. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

The cost is the cost of replacing the chickens if you bought comparable (age and condition) on the open market plus any related expense you incur.

Mike

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I sort of agree with everyone who is placing the value of the birds at replacement plus rasing costs, but you haven't added opportunity costs to that figure. By this time of year I wouldn't be able to raise replacements, I'd be out of birds for a whole year. Opportunity costs. I'm entitled to the cost of replacing the eggs those birds would have produced, the value of their offspring in the spring, the meat I should have gotten from culling the roosters, etc, etc.

When you start itemizing it adds up. I've even been known to throw in "fertilizer value" and "bug control" when I've been particularly annoyed. In a tourist town, when you're using my property without permission, having your pet off leash and able to kill my animals is utterly unacceptable.

But, as I said, plan B is to turn the animal over to animal control. At which point I may not get compensation unless I sue in small claims... but there is now a public record of the animal killing livestock, they incur a $75 fine, and there is the inconvenience of having to fetch the animal from the lockup. If the animal gets loose again and is picked up, the fine jumps to $125. If it happens a third time the family has to go before a board. I think in 10 years only 1 person has ended up going before the board over his dogs. I think by the time you've shelled out $200 in fines you've pretty much got the message that the dog needs to be on a leash!

14. cc-rider

I talked with the dog warden. Supposedly the owners got a $190 fine. The dog warden will compensate me "fair market value" based on what the livestock auction in Kidron Ohio says they are worth. I'm sure it won't be much, considering nothing goes through the auction except spent old hens that bring a couple bucks a piece.

I asked about the pen that the dogs demolished and they said they can't compensate me for that. That I'd need to file a civil suit if I wanted additional compensation. He's to call me today to let me know the "fair market value".

In the meantime....does anyone have any young Buff O's they want to sell? Like Morrison Corners said.... I'm too late in the year to start over with day-olds... I was counting on egg sales and hatching a few more chicks before fall!

CC

15. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I took someone to court over his cat killing a pure Lacy Roundhead cock. I had used the cock as my primary brood cock for three years. I showed records of what I received for each of his offspring that I sold(i keep record books with wingband numbers sold to etc and how much for my breeding records) the judge awarded me the cost of the cock 1000 dollars and averaged what I made off him the three years prior and awarded me one years brood at 4325 dollars. So after proving repeated warnings to the neighbor about the cat including catching it in a live trap three times and returning it home the judge found the owner negligent and I received 5325 dollars plus court costs for one rooster. To tell you the truth Id rather had the rooster as I could have easily bred him for at least six or more years.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Unless you already had an income from said chickens it is unlikely the courts will award you more then what it would cost you to go out and purchase chickens of the same breed and age. Which would put you right back to where you were prior to the attack. Life is not fair but our courts still do work towards making it as fair as is possible.

Hugs
    marlene

17. cc-rider

If I could just replace the chickens with the same breed and age, I'd be ELATED!!!!! That's all I'm asking. I just can't FIND any! :(

18. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Be aware that MC has admitted to making fake web sites about things that do not exist, just to fool the public into thinking that things really exist. Do a search on it here. The 40 -50 per chicken may just be one of those fantasy land things.

19. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

Here it's the cost of the chickens on the open market and this is a farmer friendly court. Uncle Will's $10 would be pretty close to the mark, although there would be a fine to the owner for failure to control the animal. The court would get the money from the fine.

Here it would be considered that DS had a very special case. His would be considered a disruption of commerce, etc. He had actual figures to back up actual production, not fantasy figures on the price one would realize for the sale of meat from roosters from eggs to be possibly laid at a future date.

I also have to say, that you may want to really, really think hard before you "throw" in such things as "bug control" and "fertilizer value" into your calculations. You want to present a reasonable case, and the magistrate who would have jurisdiction here would consider this delusional. (We've shoveled manure out of chicken houses together.)

Certainly others may have different experiences from mine, so again I point out that my observations are only true for where I live in Tennessee.

All that being said, cc, I'm really sorry about the chickens. Our flea markets have everything from chicks to mature pairs; you could check to see if you have any in your area. You might try asking at the Agricultural Agent's office, the feed mill, Tractor Supply, any entity that deals with farm animals. Someone may have a flock of Buffs that could get you a setting of fertile eggs, or they may have extra youngsters. A lot of us who keep chickens have the extras we don't want to slaughter but we're keeping just because, well, because we want to.

20. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

That's what happened to us. I ended up waiting 5 months for new chicks.
    Sorry for your loss. I alway got attached to our hens, they would follow me around like a dogs. I would say they are worth at least $6 to $8.

Where we live farmers will shoot a livestock killing dog and bring it to your door step and tell you when, where, and how much you owe for their dead livestock. If they missed the dog, they'll expect you to kill it and show them the proof. It doesnt matter if its chickens, rabbits, sheep, ect.