Repairing sheet rock before painting?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by connie in WV, Oct 5, 2005.

1. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

I just stripped off some wall paper in our bathroom. In several spots the thin top layer of the sheet rock came off as well and has slightly rough edges.

What can I do to the sheet rock so that it's smooth enough for paint? I don't want these spots showing through. Is this what primer is for?

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

If the texture is significantly different, primer will not improve the appearance. You could put on the primer and let it dry. If it doesn't look right, put a thin coat spackle over the area with a large overlap onto the good drywall surface. Feather it with sandpaper and prime again. Spackle will cover even large blemishes.

3. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

You could probably use drywall mud as well.

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Ugh! I was afraid of that! Dry wall mud is not my specialty. Usually I have ended up just texturing the wall to cover my handy work. I will try extra hard to keep it thin. Hopefully that will help. Thanks!

5. connie in WV

Oops! That last post was mine! Not Chuck's. :rolleyes:

6. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Just take your time and remember, less is more, build it up with thin coats.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

And---if it gets too thick---have extra sandpaper on hand.

8. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Drywall mud = spackle.

Ready mixed may be a little more difficult to get a thin layer. Powdered can be mixed thin. I suppose you could add a little water to a bucket of ready mixed, but you would have to do that in a different container. Be carefull, it doesn't take much water to make a big difference in the consistency. I like the powdered stuff, because it stores indefinitely, is fairly easy to mix to a consistency you like, and easy to adjust by adding more mix or water. Ready mixed stores well closed, but after you open it, it eventually isn't good. It may be difficult to estimate how much you need.

Get a large spackle blade - 8-10 inches, instead of a putty knife. Sand paper makes a lot of dust, but you can also use a damp sponge. With a little practice you can almost duplicate textures. A sponge will remove a lot if it is too damp or if you stay in one area too long. Let it dry completely before you sponge it.

9. connie in WV

I've always used ready made so making it thin sounds good. Now that you mention the sponge trick, I remember hearing that before. Ok...I feel confident!

10. texican

texican Well-Known Member

if it's a small area, you might try the vinyl spackle...comes in little containers...great for touch up jobs...no mixing...cures without shrinkage, so you don't have to do multiple layers...just daub some on, and smooth it out...sand later if it needs it...and paint over... quickest and cheapest, and works great for clients who don't want to pay me to come back several times for a five minute remud/sand job...

11. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If all else fails you can hang pictures and calenders over the spots that you flubbed up. Maybe that picture of your mother-in-law.

12. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Apply three THIN coats of mud -- feathering each futher out as needed, then you lightly sand, prime and paint.

Do NOT put too much mud on. The professional drywallers, of which I am not one, hardly sand at all, but they come back three times to barely touch the wall with mud. They are amazing.

The rest of us seem to think, "The more mud the better, smear it on." Of course then we spend weeks sanding it off, in a cloud of toxic lung-plugging dust.

Good Luck,

Alex

13. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Around here it's called "joint compound" and that ain't spackle! Works really really well, too. You can even fill in the cracks in plywood paneling so you can't tell they are there! Good luck!

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

I hate working with drywall, so I've watched the pros to try to learn how to get it over with.

Lesson #1 for me: Don't try to make it perfect with the taping knife. If you leave little ridges, that's fine. Don't spend 4 days and 3 nights trying to get rid of them. They'll sand off in about 30 seconds once they are dry.