Repairing Pin Hole Leaks in Galvanized Water Trough

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jul 9, 2006.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know how to safely (so water remains drinkable by stock) repair pin hole leaks in the bottom of a large galvanized water trough. Thought about roofing seal (SnowCoat), or auto body putty, or maybe fiberglass, or silicone sealant. I guess I should also paint bottom (outside) with Rustoleum paint to prevent further rusting.

2. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Try solder with flux and a blowtorch, I believe they make a lead free solder. You could paint the bottom, I have our trough sitting on a couple of 2x4's to keep it off the ground. Good luck.

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never used it but there is an aquarium silicon that they use to glue the edges of the glass to gether on aquarium,

on my old stock tank I usually just took a roofing screw with the rubber washer and a small block and put the block on the inside and ran the screw in to the pin hole and in to the block to secure it,

or if the hole was bigger, a bolt with washers and a piece of inter-tube or some rubber for a gasket between the washer and the tank,

I have drain the tank and used the Oxygen acetylene torch and Brazed it closed,

I have on newer ones uses acid and re soldered the tank,

I have driven wood splinters into the holes,

I have seen people pour a new concrete floor in the tank (a number of years later I got the job taking the cement out of the tank to remove it, it probably lasted another 20 years)

and when the tank gets to be more than 75 years old replace it, it has so much hard ware in it that it now weighs twice as it did new, LOL.

if there is a lot of leaks at the bottom, a layer of bentonite in the bottom of it may get you a few more years out of it,
    I have heard that people using the tire tanks, in a temporary situation have sealed the rim opening with just bentonite and then can more the tank to a new area, (note have not tried this method, ON the tire tanks I have always filled the rim hole with cement),

4. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Drill a hole inthe pin hole and put a screw with 2 washers a nut and 2 rubber washer in it it should stop the leak. Jay

5. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

I've found that a GOOD fix can be accomplished w/o all the "extras", by mixing up an appropriate amount of JB WELD and smearing it over the area that have the pinholes......of course a good wirebrushing to bare metal prior to doing this helps hold it for the long haul. :)

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

marine tex is just like JB Weld but comes in a larger container cheaper. Available at boat supply stores. I use it to patch rusted fuel tanks on tractors, works great.

7. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

8. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

Oh boy did that question bring back childhood memories!!

When we were young, we played with the kids(11 of them) on the farm down the street. We swam in the horse trough. It would get little holes in it. We would go out to the road a dig out peices of tar out of the road.We would plug those holes with the soft(warmed by the sun) tar. It worked great!! Now I can't remember how long it lasted.

Thanks for the memory! LOL

9. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

if the pinholes are very small, painting the inside will work. there is a type of paint called "cold galv" which will help prevent further rusting. look for it at the welding supply store.

pax
    t.f.