Repairing firebrick on a wood stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Irish Pixie, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

We found a deal (we think) on a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim wood stove. But it needs to have two firebricks replaced, or repaired. Is this a hard thing to do? Costly, time consuming? It's moonlight blue enamel and perfect for the cabin-if it's easily fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stacy in NY

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We got a wood stove last year, that came with no firebricks. I just went to a store that sold wood stoves/pellet stoves and they had them for sale. They are more spendy than regular bricks but if you just need two it won't be bad. Probable around $6.

Deb

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Last wood stove i looked in that had fire brick.They where held in by a piece of angle iron that was welded to over hang the top edge out to the face of the brick.No way i seen to replace those with out cutting the angle iron.
    But since i have also seen the fire brick for sale id assume not all stoves are built this way. If you couldn't get the fire brick, wonder how it would work to stack layers of cut to fit concrete fire board into the hole.Preferably readjusting the good brick to the middle where the fire would be hottest! Might also cut the brick to fit in under this lip,and use fire proof caulking to glue it to the side so it wouldn't fall over.

Make sure you look it over real good where the fire brick are missing to make sure its not damaged from heat,where the fire bricks are missing.Assuming they used it with out them.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Generally a bit messy but quite easy - just take out the old & put in the new. Due to heat expansion, glueing doesn't work, so they are held in with an iron lip most of the time. Might have to take the floor pieces out to remove the side pieces, or if it's bolts then that's a little harder to get an old fired bolt out...

Just look it over & figure out the puzzle of how they put it together, you do the opposite to get them back out.

--->Paul

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't tell you yours is this way, but the ones I replaced only required you to lift up on the fire brick, and it would go high enough for the bottom to come out of the metal grove it sets in. To install new brick, put the top in first then lift it up enough that the bottom will go into place and slide down a bit. That's it. You do need to buy bricks the correct size. A screw driver will help to get the old ones raised up enough to come out.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do as described above and build from the top down and then ram some sand under the bottom course.

7. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

Well, we bought the stove. The entire back of the stove's firebrick (Vermont Casting's firebrick comes in sheets) has to be replaced. It's in excellent shape, just a few nicks in the enamel. Plus it has the fancy warming racks. We got it for $300.00. I'm pretty happy with the deal. I just have to find a VC dealer in my area for the brick and blue stove pipe.

Thanks for your help. We appreciate it!

Stacy in NY