Repairing Broken/Stretched Barb Wire Fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Anyone have a nifty way for one person to repair a break or take out the slack in a barbwire fence. I have one of those fence menders which attaches to both sides of the break and you stretch the broken ends past each other. However, it is nearly impossible to use by yourself.

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Are you using one of these?
    [​IMG]
    If so, all you have to do is make the loop like in the picture on one end. If the wire is too short, make the loop on both ends, pull it up tight, tie a wire between both loops and release it.
    Good as new.

3. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

And how to straighten out new woven wire fencing? My barbwire broke when the huge tree came down and hit it and taking the other fencing to ground. Neighbor told me the fencing can not be put back up but would need replacing?????? Which means taking down the whole length of fencing from corner to gate and replacing it with new. ????? Same with the barbwire that broke. If this was out in the "country" I would splice in barbwire or on the back fence. This is along road (city street) and I want it to look neat. Seems to me out on ranch we just bent the barbwire back and wound it and so loop on each end and put in a piece. Doing the same with it. Wooden posts and they came through the disaster okay. 40 feet or so of woven fence folded up and flat on the ground. 120 from corner to gate I would say. I can not figure any nice way to splice the barbwire.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I found it easier to mend or tighten by wrapping the longer end of a break around a post after pulling it to the post to remove slack. Them I would put a splice on the shorter end and pull it tight and wrap the end around the same post.

I didn't like the loop method of hooking two ends together because when you pull it really tight the loop sometimes cuts in two. Especially on old rusty barbs.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Colorado has the right idea . When I repaired a bwire fence for a customer , I always explained , TOO them , that when a wire or wires break you can't simply 'pull' both ends back together with the tool in the picture . The 'WHY' of it is because , that wire is attached to either T-posts or wooden posts and when the wire breaks it allows those posts to lean in the direction of the remaining tension on the wire . So , when when you try to restretch you are effectively pulling against ....ALL... the posts that the wire is connected too . In essence , the correct way to fix the break is to cut all wire ties on the remaining posts , then restretch the Full distance and retie the wire too each individual post . This is , effectively , the only way to put things right , If you want a good tight fence . fordy... :shrug:

6. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Fordy, Thanks. I have not found any breaks in woven wire but it is like about foot wide. 3 foot fencing and just folded it and laid flat on the ground. It need stretching upward. Can it be spread back up to 3 feet.???? I guess those little v's Crimps in the wire are tenshion deallies. New fencing. I do not see a neat way of splicing woven wire either. I do not see any breaks in but one stay wire came undone on the top. Just pulled the staples. Bwire both strands broke. Right now they can drive in over it. Not much use shuting the gate.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Cornhusker: That won't work in my situation as the breaks are in sections of wire between T-posts in long sections of T-post only fencing. If you hook one end of the stretcher on one post it won't draw the two wires together in order to splice them.

Colorado: Something to consider. Cut out the bad section entire. Get a section of new wire and attach it to both sides using hog ring nose clips. Small ones should work fine. You will also need the pliers. Essentially the clips are about like diamonds open on the bottom. The pliers squeezes the open ends past each other. Actually quite strong.

What I'm looking for is a light-weight tool which would work in breaks between T-posts. Something to grab onto both wires and stretch them together to over lap enough to put on a crush collar.

8. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

Ken, the type of stetcher cornhusker showed you will work, just hook a chain to it and loop it around the ball on your pickup, a tractor would work for a anchor point or even a bumper if your pickup dont have a ball. Thats how I did it when I built my fence so I could nail to the actual corner post and not have to strech the woven wire around it.