Repairing Bandsaw Blades

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    That might be 'overkill', in the past blades were soldered.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

4. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

Why are the blades breaking? sounds like you need to solve the problem not the manifestation of it.

5. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

I have used one quite like that built into a large bandsaw. The comapany I worked for bought all of the bandsaw blade in rolls and we would cut off what we needed and weld them. If it was done properly and annealed well, the weld rarely broke.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thats what i was thinking
    maybee the guids or its to tight or you are pushing to hard

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have used one of these blade welders and I have silver soldered a number of blades also. When you silver solder the blades the teeth at the joint will fail and if you are not careful the joint will "bump" as the joint passes through the material being cut.
    The advantage of the welder is that the joint becomes equivilent to a factory joint and the blades perform better IMO. I would like to have one of the machines as then I could buy bulk blade material by the roll and make my own. With the price of premade blades it would not take long for a payback on the purchase.
    Do you use bimetal blades? They will not break as readily as others.

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I have a 64 1/2" bandsaw from Northern Tools. Likely made in China. I have look for a cause of breakage without finding it. These are small to where the blades have to go around two 8" or so wheels and bend 45 degrees twice in about 5' of travel. May just be fatigue. I do know I broke some by accidentally dropping the blade on stock while running and likely damaging a couple of teeth. There I could hear that point as it went through the stock being cut and eventually pop. Rest of the time they just snapped for no discernable (sp?) reason. Break point seems no different than rest of blade but likely where it was originally welded.

Did find one problem several months ago where there was too much slop in one of the vertical guide wheels. It went to the side so the blade was riding beside it, rather than under it, and the top of the blade was cutting into the frame. Corrected that problem with a couple of small washers to keep the guide centered.

I try not to overly tighten the blades.

I have started to use a drop or so of cutting fluid for thick cuts.