Repair or replace plastic threads?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by designer, Mar 9, 2005.

1. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I'm trying to repair an old juicer. I can't track down the manufacturer or find any info on the retailer either. So I can't get replacement parts. A plastic threaded sleeve is broken. Would it be possible to fix the broken part? Being plastic I don't know what hope there is. The plastic piece is connected to a metal cutting disk. Would it be possible to replace the plastic with a metal piece welded on? Here is the broken piece....
    [​IMG]

Is it worth the trouble? Any other ideas on a possible fix? Thanks

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You can try the following.....get some of the fast setting JB Weld at an auto supply store. The fast setting type bonds more readily to some plastics. Take the broken part and roughen the area to be repaired in order to achieve the best bond. On the male part that is not broken carefully cover that in total with some cling (saran) wrap. Mix the JB Weld and apply generously to the broken areas and also form some JBWeld around the threaded cling wrapped part. Now carefully place the broken part onto the threaded part extruding the surplus out as you affix the broken part to the good part. Once you are satisfied all is located properly let it cure. Now for the fun part, see if you can untread the broken piece and see if you have successfully molded a fix. I have made knobs and parts using this technique. The made parts function as well or better than the old plastic as it seems to be stronger. Good luck :)

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I would think epoxy would do it.

BooBoo

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Loctite makes a product called Formathread. to fix just such a problem. It's holding a water pump on my old Jeep 2.8 l so it might.

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

If you did this repair, and it failed, would it be IMPOSSIBLE for any repair materials to get into the food?