Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's tried and tested Trillium TR500 Breadmaker is in need of a few parts - paddle, pan, and a washer. I've been looking on line for replacement parts with a little luck but have not found all the parts needed.

Is there a trusted website where you have found replacement parts for your bread maker?

Is it a good time to buy a newer quality model? I believe our current one is over 8 years old.

What are the better quality bread makers out there these days? Not so much gadgets and buttons, but quality of product.

Thanks for your insight!

Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
well, for me, when mine gives out, it'll be my last. i will go with either a stand type mixer or just do it myself. i can make 4 loaves in the time that thing makes one. i do not bake in mine as i don't care for the texture or shape of the finished loaf.

my mom just got a hand mixer that is heavy-duty enough to make bread! that is something i'd look into as well.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Finding replacement parts is quite an issue, I've found. If/when you do find them, they're usually so expensive that you may as well buy a new machine. I've even tried finding parts for a NEW machine (such as a spare bowl and paddle), to no avail. My current machine is a Breadman Pro that I've had for about two years.

@ chewie: I could probably make four loaves in that time, as well, but it would require a lot of interaction on my part to make those four loaves. I don't have time for that, so I prefer the "set and forget" of the bread machine (as a matter of fact, I have a batch in the machine as I'm typing this--can't do that with hand-mixed). I do bake mine in the oven rather than in the bread machine, but that involves nothing more than shaping the dough, putting it in a greased pan, letting it rise for an hour, and popping it into the oven for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Check out thrift stores, rummage and estate sales. Many people purchased bread makers (or received them as gifts) and never (or seldom) used them. I have back-up machines that were purchased for under $10.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,902 Posts
This day and age with retailers cutting prices , its cheaper and better to buy a new one when the old one dies.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I grind my own wheat and it makes the best bread . . . .but it ages rapidly . . .darn if I know what I'd do with four loaves at a time . .??
I can use only so many door stops.

Back before I saw the light, I bought a bread maker from that wonderful place--chinamart. It worked ok for a while untill the drive belt parted.
Now for the expected good news . . . . . replacement parts for that model (Magic Chef I think)>> do not exist.
Another one of chinafarts cheapy-planned- disposable throw away items.

I ended up doing the flea-bay buying thing.
My Panasonic is doing great.
And I got a ZOjirushi as a back up.
Google bread makers and you will find that the ZO's are top rated .

·
Rebelicious
574 Posts
Check out thrift stores, rummage and estate sales. Many people purchased bread makers (or received them as gifts) and never (or seldom) used them. I have back-up machines that were purchased for under $10.

Good Luck.
I got two machines a year ago, both from rummage sales, for about $10 each. One is a normal with the tall loaf and the other makes them just like a normal bread pan. I don't use them very often, I don't like the texture and dryness of the bread, but they are nice for fruit breads or setting it for overnight baking. I prefer to use my kitchenaid to mix and knead and bake in the oven the old fashioned way for our daily bread we eat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We bought a professional grade stand mixer and can mix 4 loaves at once. I have one day a month that I make bread and freeze it for the month. I make rolls, hamburger/hotdog buns and white and wheat bread. We pull it from the freezer when we need it. I figure I can make 3 or 4 loaves in the time the bread machine makes one--I know a little more work involved but I don't have to keep making single loaves.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
I had trouble finding parts for our old one as well - I had the thing held together with duck tape until the plastic window fell out of the top. I got a Zojirushi a few years ago because I believe (I hope) I will be able to find parts for it if I ever need to.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
i freeze mine as well. no, can't use 4 loaves in the few days it'd be fresh, but one usually goes fast (i call the first one the 'sacrificial loaf as its eaten immediately!) then i have 3 left, one for leaving out to use in the next few days, then 2 for the freezer. or make rolls outta some dough.

i always seem to need to check on the bread machine anyhow, so geesh, if i gotta be around to babysit, i may as well make all i need for a few weeks at once.

·
Registered Doofus
362 Posts
About a year ago I posted a wanted ad for a free bread machine on Craigslist and received at least 6 offers.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I'm not sure whats better than that 1 1/2" thick slice off the end of the "Just Baked" loaf of my wheat bread. . . .Ho boy

Yes the freezer for sure is an option . . . . . .but I'm kinda partial to that fresh baked. . . . .

Seems when I was 'ready to buy' I came across a "bread maker parts guy" . . . .claiming to have parts for most every unit out there.
Except of course for my "throw away" from chinafarts.......
Funny, . .in our e-mails he finally said "I'll keep an eye out for one at the garage sales".
Pop up flea-bay *breadmakers* and settle back for several pages of units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts