REopening canandian border for cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by arnoldw, Dec 3, 2004.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Does anyone know or heard anything about reopening the boarders between the US and canada as far as live cattle.
    Arnoldw

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The word up here is that it's going to be a while yet. I've heard march but I'd be darned surprised if it was. There are issues that I see that are impeding the process and will for a while. You have some senators that are pretty vocal , about not opening the border. Then there was that dirty little matter of the fool that hid the bucking bulls in a load of horses to sneak across the border for the lucrative US rodeos. There's also the fact that nobody has any defined answers on where or how this cow came to be. I have my own theories but I do know that the herd she came from is a VERY closed her, to the point of some serious inbreeding and everything she was fed at that farm was homegrown. The folks raised their own hay and grain so that kinda shoots the contaminated feed theory out of the water. I would personally love to see the border reopen but I want to see it happen right. I feel that both our countries are doing too much of our own testing and feel that monitoring/testing should be done by our trade partners not for them and I'm a big believer in 100% testing, the additional cost is nominal and again, nobody can say that we're keeping secrets from our trade partners.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

6 months was what our foreign affairs minister was crowing but he's not very reliable in any capacity. Personally I'd rather see the border stay shut at this point for a few years, until we build more federal inspected plants so we can export more as a finished product. As is the USA takes boxed beef now but not live animals, so we get the jobs and the sales. Befroe anyone asks yes I've lost real money (thousands of dollars but less than 10k) from the BSE ban, seems a shame to completely waste it now to me.

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Ross
    You have a valid point about slaughter capacity but the packers are using this to there advantage. Some people on livestock boards from your country think that the more than $200 a head profit to the packers is to much. From a producer aspect I would think the biggest concern would be the price for cull cows and bulls. A big bull here will bring almost as much as fats in Canada and there will bring a dime a pound :no: I think they will open soon to source verified young cattle but the other cattle will take alot longer to get in this country!
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ross, I agree with you and off you much sympathy. We've also lost much in the mess but we're better than most in the sense that the longhorns have always been considered sport cattle more than anything else and as long as cowboys wanna play we aren't too bad off but our calves are still selling $300 below what they were pre BSE. I think that Alberta has gotten a lot more publicity than the rest of Canada.