Renting rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A while back, there was a mention about renting/leasing rabbits, especially around Easter, for photographers, etc. The idea has been beating around in my head ever since.

For those that do this, what do you provide? For how long? For how much rental fee? Do you stay with and babysit, or trust care to the renter?

I'm guessing that you have them in portable cages with cleanable trays, and food goes along. Or maybe 'bin' type cages with litter? That you give them a quick handling lesson so you don't get hurt bunnies. That you have a contract that states what happens if a bun gets hurt.

How do you write up who accepts liability if a bun scratches a child, or even bites? I would think the renter would have that responsibility, as you aren't there to control handling? Or are you?

Please give me all the information you can, so I can plan for next year.

Thanks for all info,
    Meg

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

c'mon folks... :confused:

Someone must be able to tell me something!

Pretty please?

Meg

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

sorry i missedthis one,
    we werethe ones who rentedthe bunnies,

we rent the bunnies for the SAME AMOUNT as the sale price... why, cause if it doesnt come back then its no skin off my tush
    in most cases the bunny was rented without a cage, if they want a cage, they leave a deposit equal to the value of the cage, again , same reason ,it doesnt come back , no skin off my tush

i give a ziploc of food, enough for the rental period, whic in this case is 4-5 days, usually they picked up thurs,fri before easter and return was to be mon or tues.

dead rabbits, no refund
    a quick lesson in handling rabbits given when the rabbit transferred scustody,
    a suggestion on trimming claws, and not letting children under 7 handle bunny unsupervised

made sure i rented out only bucks too :D , cause then again ,tis only an extra meal to my family, a few days diference in butchering not a problem ,
    only rented older animals not tiny babies, tiny ones were sold only
    the demand on them was too high to consider renting
    we rented out 18 bunnies about 2 weeks before easter to a photog, in that case we bartered for photo services
    i pick them up tomm.
    looking forward to it

another one we rented out a bulk rate of 5.00 per bunny

it ended up the rentals we had fell through , but i sold every single bunny, and i generated a lot of farm product interest,
    next year i would have flyers about other products our farm offers including our participation in the CNG program and our participation in farmers market, etc...

i have phone numberso n everyone who bought a bunny this past month , and will do follow up calls in a few weeks, by now many peoples children want nothing to do with a bunny .....

insurance wise, never came up , but
    if it did , i rented a live animal with all the risks associated with a live animal death injury etc.
    they accepted those risks by renting, if i werein a more urban environemnt , i would probobly have them take a form to that effect.. along with a farm flyer ...

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Thanks Bethlaf...information appreciated!
    Meg