Rental car w/ unlimited miles?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longhorngal, Jul 19, 2006.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope this isn't too off topic but does anyone know of a rent a car company that offers unlimited miles outside of the surrounding states? We want to go to WI for my Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary but have a car full so we need to rent something bigger to drive. So far it's running $450 for a 3 day trip. Just the van w/o the extra .20 per mile would be $288. That extra mileage is a killer not to mention what we'll spend in gas!
    Thanks for any help!
    Car

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I think my friend uses Thrifty for that reason.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

In this area almost all rentals are unlimited miles. We often rent a van when we go to dog trials that may be several states away. We get them for a weekly rental for around $325-$350. Better than driving our own van and putting 1000+ miles on it.

try travelocity.com or orbitz.com to find the best rates then check for unlimited milage.

**** be aware of insurance, many Credit Cards are no longer covering rentals, even platinum cards and if you don't have full coverage on your personal auto you most likely won't have rental coverage ****

4. BUDSMOM

BUDSMOM Well-Known Member

we use enterprise-we went from northern illinois to southern mo and a tad into arkansas over the 4th. have gone as far as western ks. weekend rate-unlimited miles and then as many weekdays as we need, unlimited also. very reasonable. last rental was a mazda 6. nice car.

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never rented a vehicle that wasn't unlimited mileage. I've probably used Budget more than others, but Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, even Ugly Duckling have all offered unlimited mileage. You might try this site and see what you get:

http://www.carrentals.com/

6. longhorngal

Thanks ALOT you guys! I found much better deals on Orbitz and Carrentals.com. Much better than searching through the main websites for each car rental biz.
    I'm breathing easier about this trip now!
    Cara

7. Kith and Kin

Kith and Kin Active Member

Be sure to tell them where you are going. Some rental companies wont let you go east/west of the Mississippi. No big deal unless you need thier services due to a break down etc...
    Enjoy your trip and be be safe :)

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

A quick note of advice: Always check directly with your rental location 3 days or so before you are due to pick up the car to make sure they will have the size you reserved on lot. (Especially during busy summer rental season and near major travel holidays.) Otherwise you will get a free upgrade/change which may or may not suit your needs. This mostly applies for non-airport locations. (Major airports usually have what you reserved). By checking 3 days in advance, most rental locations can request a car transferred in if they will not have what you want on lot and you are firm about what you reserved.

And if they tell you they cannot get your type vehicle in and they intend to substitute, shop around all the other rental agencies, telling them your story (but don't cancel out the first company!) AND the rate you reserved at. They will probably match it if they can put you in the car and you tell them they have all your travel business from here on out. It's a very competitive game so don't be afraid to pit one company against another to get exactly what you reserved via the internet. (And no, reserving via their 800# doesn't give you any greater insurance that what you reserved will be there.)

Shop wisely. And sometimes it is better to pay a tiny bit more and be with one of the larger rental companies than have the lowest price with a tiny upstart company. More locations, more cars.

Enjoy the trip.
    BW

BW

9. longhorngal

Thanks for the additional tips. Yes, we learned the hard way the last time we moved..had rented the biggest UHAUL truck, went to pick it up. "Uh, sorry, we're out of those" and none in a 100 mile radius! Sucky customer service, I called everyone in that company I could think of and we were just flat out of luck. Following up several days in advance is an excellent idea.

Cara