Renowned cancer scientist was paid by Monsanto for 20 years

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Dec 21, 2006.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

While he was being paid by Monsanto, Sir Richard wrote to a royal Australian commission investigating the potential cancer-causing properties of Agent Orange, made by Monsanto and used by the US in the Vietnam war. Sir Richard said there was no evidence that the chemical caused cancer.

Documents seen by the Guardian reveal that Sir Richard was also paid a £15,000 fee by the Chemical Manufacturers Association and two other major companies, Dow Chemicals and ICI, for a review that largely cleared vinyl chloride, used in plastics, of any link with cancers apart from liver cancer - a conclusion with which the World Health Organisation disagrees. Sir Richard's review was used by the manufacturers' trade association to defend the chemical for more than a decade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1967385,00.html

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Sorry, Ladycat, 'taint true. Agent Orange was made by Dow Chemical. It's a combination of 24D and 245T. Both of those chemicals are currently on the market, I think one is a brush killer and the other is for use on gravel driveways. Next time you are in TSC, read some labels. But I digress.
    Those two chemicals are not causing any cancers. However, when Dow was making Agent Orange, there was a residue of a dangerous toxic chemical, Dioxin. That's the bugger that caused all the health troubles and current formulations are Dioxin free.

To prevent my Agent Orange from causing cancer, I'm storing it in home-made wooden barrels, avoiding the poly vinyl cloride liver cancer causing containers.

3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Agent Orange was made by both Dow and Monsanto.

Monsanto was founded in 1901.

In the 1940s, it became a leading manufacturer of plastics, including polystyrene, and synthetic fibers. Since then, it remained one of the top 10 US chemical companies. Other major products have included dioxin (in the herbicides 2,4,5-T and Agent Orange), aspartame (NutraSweet), bovine somatotropin (bovine growth hormone; BST), and PCBs.

In the 1940s, Monsanto operated Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the Manhattan Project, the development of the first nuclear weapons.

Still don't believe it? Let's go to Monsanto's own web site:

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/content/media/pubs/2004/2004Monsanto10k.pdf (PDF) see page 13

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/content/media/pubs/2003/2003Monsanto10k.pdf (PDF): see page 11

Plenty more where that came from.

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Good job ladycat,more people have been bought than we can imagine $$$$$$.
    Meanwhile we continue to use more dangerous products without being aware of the consequences!!!!!!!!!
    Chas

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Expert witnesses can be bought.Ask anyone who has ever been to court.

Just the way it is.

BooBoo :gromit:

6. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

My father's death certificate issued by the attending doctor at the Veteran's Hospital in Atlanta attributed his death directly to Agent Orange. There were older doctors who did not wish to include that statement on the death certificate preferring to state that "patient died of complications from cancer", however this particular doctor held his course and said he would not lie to cover up another death from this chemical useage.

It was a very dangerous chemical and should never have been used and the troops should have been told of the dangers, but were not. The troops learned the hard way just like my father..who was a lifer in the army, and yes, if he had been able, he would have gone back to serve if they had needed him. I think he was betrayed as he believed the military would take care of him, but the military seemed to think of him as "disposable". When he got very sick one night and the nearest VA hospital was 100 miles away, yet we had a very good hospital 15 miles away, he could not be admitted to the local hospital, as the government would not pay for his care so we drove the 100 miles to get him to a VA hospital. My dad did not have "outside" insurance as he believed that his military benefits would cover him no matter what. My Mom knows otherwise and she has other insurance, but my dad always believed (until that night) that the military would take care of him. They will as long as it doesn't inconvenience or cost them more money.

I have no love for the political cogs in the military, but I love the troops.

7. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

My Uncle Mike was in Viet Nam and was exposed to Agent Orange. Upon his return, he fathered 3 children . . .the first one (now in his 30's) is mentally retarded along with many other physical disabilities. They were told it was due to Agent Orange exposure. Scotty functions at a child's level.

The other two children, who are many years younger than Scotty are OK.

While you all are on the "Who's Paid For" rant . . . it is my OPINION that there is a cure for most cancers but the drug companies and the insurance companies have bought some silence somewhere (government, too?) to keep it quiet. They would lose too much money if good, honest people were cured of cancer.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it . . .

8. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

<<<<<<<While you all are on the "Who's Paid For" rant . . . it is my OPINION that there is a cure for most cancers but the drug companies and the insurance companies have bought some silence somewhere (government, too?) to keep it quiet. They would lose too much money if good, honest people were cured of cancer.>>>>>>>>..

I totally agree.

9. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Don't get me started. Anybody who blanketly trusts the government, doctors, or drug companies is foolish at least.

10. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I work in an elderly housing facility and one of the residents just past away due to bone cancer. At some point his wife told me that he had been in the military his entire life and that she believed the cancer was due to what he was exposed to during that time. True or not I don't know...but the wife would probably know better than any of us. :shrug:

Thanks for posting LadyCat.

11. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

And that foolishness is but the tip of one enormous iceberg.

12. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

While you all are on the "Who's Paid For" rant . . . it is my OPINION that there is a cure for most cancers but the drug companies and the insurance companies have bought some silence somewhere (government, too?) to keep it quiet. They would lose too much money if good, honest people were cured of cancer.>>>>>>>>..

I have heard this all before but find it hard to believe. Even if cancer was cured there would be another serious desease to produce a drug for. They have now discovered that cervical cancer is caused by a virus. How many other cancers are? We eat the wrong foods, and most of those are filled with preservatives. We drink too much and smoke poisens, why blame others for things we do ourselves? I try very hard not to take man made drugs, but Im sure down the road Ill have to.