Renovating pasture in Wisconsin. Help

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by rman, Aug 29, 2006.

1. rman

rman Member

I have a couple of acres that I've had beef on the last two years. Was in row crops for years, then sat idle for 5 or 6 years. Thistles and every other sort of weed took over. It was very bad. I have managed the thistles by walking the pasture twice a week with a shovel, cutting them off at ground level. I think I have them and most of the other weeds under control. I am looking forward to next year already. There is only one problem. There is one area that is about 150 foot by 150 foot that is very fertile black soil and it has become a solid mass of ground ivy, also known as creeping charlie. The ivy is so thick that nothing else grows there. Can I beat this horrible weed and if so, how? I do not want this evil pest to take over the rest of my pasture. Help. Will rotational grazing eventually take care of this or should I spray or plow the stuff under? I'm not in a rush but I do want to win the battle against this stuff. I'm in S.E. Wisconsin, right on the border with Illinois.

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would spray the field with Roundup and 2,4D to kill the weeds. Then harrow it good and hope that the weed seed that is left will sprout and then spray it again. In the spring I would harrow it and then see if anything comes up and if weeds come up again till it good. Harrow if good with the tines on the harrow up so it packs the soil good. When you walk across the field you should only sink in a 1/4 inch. Broadcast your seed and then I harrow mine in several times with a section of cyclone fence it doesn't bury the seed too deep. You can use a regular harrow, but they have a tendency to bury the seed too deep.

Bobg

3. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

You could also check with the ag guy in one of the co-ops in your area. Some of them will come out and tell you what you need to do to get a decent pasture going. Some charge and some do it for free.

4. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I'd just spray it with some 2,4-d. Then mow it low after it has a week to die. Then do it again if you need to.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do as Hammer4 suggested. This will save the grass and rid you of the indesireable weeds and at the same time avoid erosion.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think you can set a mower low enough to get charlie, that's why they call it "creeping":)

My lawn is full of it, but the garden doesn't have ANY, except in the perrennials where I can't till and around the edges where it keeps crawling in from the lawn.

I would just till now and plant winter rye or wheat, graze it off in spring and till again.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

if the 2 4 d doesn't get the ivy get a product called Crossbow and it should. You do not have to remove beef animals when using Crossbow. Always use a crop oil/surfactant.