Renewed sprayer post

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Aug 19, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I couldnt find the old post, so heres this one. I got it running, hand boom and all. The only problerm is, Ill have to replace the plastic nozzles. Whenever id tighten them down, theyed stop up. IOd take off the nut, and it would still be stopped even with the nozzle out of the hole. When id pry loose the strainer, then it would flow. put back the strainer, put back the nozzle and tighten it up. itr would stop again. take off nut and nozzle, pry off strainer, and its flowing again. Ill get the stainless nozzles and try them. Think ive got the highth good. Got the pressure at 20 at a FAST idle.I wana say thanks again for all the help. Oh, by the way, I asked, but dont know if answers was put on the old post or not. #1 How much fluid should it take to do a 8 acre field? #2 what will livestock do with sprayed fence rows? #3 Can I spray RR on RR corn without hurting it, or should I try not to do so. #4 How tall should I let the grass get before spraying, or can I spray it when planting, or before? Thanks again.

2. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

1. Read the label on the Roundup. I don't have one handy so I'm not going to try telling you from memory
    2. Read the label.
    3. Yes you can spray Roundup on RR corn and you have to to get full weed coverage.
    4. Roundup only kills what's growing so spraying before the grass is up is wasted money. Also there's no residual effect so if you spray when the corn and weeds are small the weeds are going to come back. You want to wait until the corn is up far enough that you can kill off all the weeds and the corn will be strong enough to stay ahead of them if they come back. I like to go at about the 7-8 leaf stage of corn. Exception is if the ground is so weedy that the weeds are growing faster than the corn, then you'll just have to spray and hope the corn comes on fast enough to keep from respraying later. Sometimes you have to respray though.

3. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Till it gets too tall. I took a spring tooth and shortened it, made for 2 rows to go between the teeth, and it does a great job of between row weeding. I run it until the corn is bending to get under the frame, then go to cultivator. The cultivator also does a great job as long as I can get the frame above the corn. Im talking at around 3ft, and then its bending but not breaking going under the frames of the cultivator. I would guess, that by waiting a week or 2 depending upon the amount of rain, I could then run the sprayer in, as the weeds should be somwhat starting to make an appearance again, and also the weeds in the row that havnt been bothered at all would be up around a foot. That would make 3 trips

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

1. You would like to put on about 1 quart of glysophate per acre, with about 10-15 gallons of water/mix per acre. You need to figure out your sprayer/ groundspeed to get that rate.... You do not want to put on a whole lot of water with glysophate; it prefers closer to 10 gal per acre than 15....

2. Will depend on the exact formulation you use: You need to follow the label, which may require 1 week of no grazing - however that is a _guess_ you must read the label.

3. Yes the point of RR corn is to be able to use glysophate as a spray over the corn. There are limits as to how much glysophate it will tolerate; and there are limits as to how tall the corn should be. See the label.

4. You want to spray corn fairly soon, when about the 4th leaf comes out. Waiting longer & the weeds will outgrow the corn, hurting your yield real quick. Also tall weeds are much, much harder to kill. I would not wait until the weeds are 1 foot tall. I would rather spray early, & respray again later if the weeds come back from new sprouts. Waiting will already harm your corn for sure. I would not care for this part of the plan at all.

--->Paul

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If you wait until the corn is three feet tall, it'll probably shield the weeds from the spray.