rendering plant odor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, May 31, 2006.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I own a tree farm, that I visit infrequently, in a rural area where Tyson's has chicken residue rendering plant. Locally the plant is referred to as the "grease plant". Tyson is somewhat grandfathered in its operation there. The few neighbors dislike the smell but many of them work at the grease plant and will not complain. Tysons is processing 1 million pounds of "waste" per day and employs 98 people. Some of these neighbors have confided that they would like the neighborhood improved. EPA has fined this operation numerous times but Tyson does nothing of any consequence to improve the facility. From the view from the highway it appears that maintenance is slack and preventative maintenace non existent. I would like to help these people. This plant has kept the area depressed as no one wants to live or locate other businesses close by. With that information as a background, I am interested in knowing if any of you know of such a plant and if so has the management done anything about the odor? If I can find a facilty where these problems have been fixed I feel that I have the time and the inclination to persist in Tyson addressing its problems at this location. Inputs appreciated!

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I've worked with several wastewater treatment plants that collected all the process air and routed it thru "biofilters." Biofilters are essentially large basins or boxes filled with very a very coarse compost and peat material. The odorous compounds, normally sulfur (H2S) and nitrogen (NH3N) compounds are adsorbed by the organic matter and broken down by the microorganism living in the compost. Just google the word "biofilter" and you'll find many links.

3. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

We have a fieldale rendering plant in one of the local cities.Boy does it stink!!!It makes the area stink for about a 2 mile radius.They need some kind of anti-stink filters..

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Stink is part of life, unfortunately. Wood pulp mills stink. Feedlots stink. Some oil and gas wells stink due to hydrogen sulfide.

I think we try to over sanitize our lives.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of a 'not in my back yard' thing - but do ya eat chicken? :) Tough thing, we have to deal with what we use.

The most horrid, worst smelly thing I ever go past is the corn silage pile from the many sweet corn plants around here. Yeeks that is an aweful smell. But the canning companies provide very needed seasonal jobs around here, the canned corn is used by people all across the country & beyond (Del Monte is big here, & just down the road a bit is the home of the Jolly Green Giant). The silage is used by area dairy & cattle farmers.

Would be hard to shut down something that provides so much need for others.

Likewise a rendering plant - one of the very few remaining - is about 35 miles from here. I'm sure it smells. But I raise critters, gotta do something with the dead ones. Burning & burrying is mostly outlawed, composting works with small ones but not the big ones.....

Don't know that I like the idea of shutting places down that provide needed services.

All the talk on this site against NAIS, and other govt regulation...... I don't get all the aggitation over that - any livestock operation around here over 10 head needs a permit anyhow. But, so be it. Do we want to be against NAIS, but for regulating other people who do things differently? Does it turn into a 'me me me me me only' sort of thing?

What happens to the millions of lbs of chicken if you do get the place shut down?

Just idle thoughts, don't mean much of anything.

--->Paul

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Valley Protein in Baltimore MD. Old plant stunk and burned to the ground. New plant is almost odor free.

7. agmantoo

Rambler, It was never my intent to get the plant shutdown! I think they are just careless and I think they do not want to use modern technology to deal with the problem. Bringing to the management a solution and asking them to implement same is what I am trying to accomplish. I feel that we all have a responsibility to deal with waste and if the solution is a few cents per pound for the millions of pounds of chicken consumed in this country so be it.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I cant think of any company that will willingly implement anything if it costs one iota of profit.
    Increasing expenses will NOT get you promoted.

BooBoo

9. agmantoo

Boo Boo,
    I am not an employee. I own the adjoining acreage and I can create a stink of my own if a solution to the problem exists and the management tries to turn a blind eye. Any manufacturing facility is required to share there EPA compliance information with their neighbors. From time to time this facility manages to get some tv coverage on their own that they do not want.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand.

This is not aimed at you......

It is interesting to see how the big bad company is supposed to take care of things & spend their money the way we want; but folks belly ache & complain & want to find areas that do not have codes & don't want a septic system & don't want to have to comply with building permits when it is _their_ money.

;)

Just interesting to see reactions when the shoe is on the other foot.

Again, nothing you have done, you're always pretty level-headed around here. Just observation in general. ;)

--->Paul

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

What's the odds that you got your land and a great price because of the rendering plant being nearby? Just curious.

There was a plant in southern Missouri that rendered or did something stinky with chicken parts that was on the news late last year or earlier this year; I can't remember exactly which town etc. Might be possible to check newspaper archives or T.V. news archives online. It was on Springfield, Missouri t.v. stations.

Good luck in your quest.

Marlene

12. agmantoo

Actually I paid much more for this farm than for land that I recently bought. The tree farm in question has a very nice feature that I would like to enjoy however. There is a nice stream. The stench from the rendering plant does not affect my place as much as it does the neighbors as the prevailing winds are in my favor. This plant is more of a situation where the camel gets its head in the tent. It started small and was not a problem of significance. Over time as the demand for chicken grew and the volume of product increased the problem has grown out of proportion. The facility has not kept pace with technology as to dealing with their odor. I will defend their right to be in business at the location. The problem, IMO, is that they have outgrown their capacity and have not upgraded their equipment, all at the detriment of the surrounding community.

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Agman,I was referring to the plant manager You,not the Agman you. :)
    I wish you luck,but....

A major vineyard went in below my friends property,put in a huge well and wiped his water out.

Their response "Sue US!"

The little guy is most likely going to get a response of that caliber.

BooBoo