Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to install a cruise control in my 2007 Pontiac Vibe this last weekend. Step 2 had me stalled on this however. I am to "extract" two torx screws that hold the airbag in place over the steering wheel. I can loosen them but not remove them. Hence I can not remove the air bag. Anybody know how to do this?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I was trying to install a cruise control in my 2007 Pontiac Vibe this last weekend. Step 2 had me stalled on this however. I am to "extract" two torx screws that hold the airbag in place over the steering wheel. I can loosen them but not remove them. Hence I can not remove the air bag. Anybody know how to do this?
I'd imagine if you've got them loose that you can turn them by hand and pull as you turn and they will come out.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
...............I'm thinking torx comes in various sizes...........make sure you're using the correct size of bit ! , fordy

·
Registered
424 Posts
As in there is something in the way keeping the screws from coming all the way out I assume?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
On the airbags that I am familiar with you have to take a flat bladed screwdriver and from the backside of the of the steering wheel you need to use the screwdriver to release a small clip. Doing so will release a type of mounting stud and the airbag will come straight forward and be out except for the wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the airbags that I am familiar with you have to take a flat bladed screwdriver and from the backside of the of the steering wheel you need to use the screwdriver to release a small clip. Doing so will release a type of mounting stud and the airbag will come straight forward and be out except for the wiring.
Yes, I think you are right. Push the clip. Also I called tech support and was told if I just moved the screw and clip to an angle, the airbag would come free on one side and then the other. I will give it another try next weekend.

Darned car goes so fast so quick - it is a struggle not to get a ticket. Almost got one the other day. I was formerly driving a Kia Rio Cinco, but gave it to my son. The Kia got slightly worse gas mileage and was a little smaller than this Pontiac Vibe! And it was a dog on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the airbag off. Loosened the torx screws as much as possible and pulled the center enough to get a small flat screw driver in to push one torx screw sideways. This allowed me to pull one side of the airbag up and then the other. Was easy actually. The rest of the procedure was fairly simple - the Cruise works great and I saved $300 that it would have cost extra for a shop to do this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts