Removing sticky from van windows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by connie in WV, Apr 27, 2005.

1. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

Because of MD regulations, we had to remove the custom tint from the driver and passenger windows on our "new" van. The tint came off, but there is still sticky residue left behind. I have tried pure acetone and Goo Gone.

Any other suggestions? Gasoline maybe?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Amonia and elbow grease.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

sand it off..ok ok try windex and a single edge razor keep the window wet and the blade flat so you dont scratch the window

4. connie in WV

How about a belt sander AND elbow grease. That should work huh? :haha:

5. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Search and find a manufacturer/distributor of such films and contact their customer service.

6. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

PS --- there is likely a solvent they use cheaply and quickly.

7. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Goof Off.. brand name

or straight Naptha - you can buy a pint of it at the local hardware store.. for a couple of dollars...

rubbing alcohol... and patience...

Lynn in Nevada

8. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

3M makes a product called Citrus Cleaner. It's in an spray can. The stuff works great on anything sticky. Just don't use it on clear plastic. It will leave the plastic hazzy.

9. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

NEVER Ever ever use gasoline to clean anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can ignite just from friction or static. :soap:

I had to take care of a patient once with gasoline burns. She was a pretty lady before, but never again.

11. connie in WV

Good ideas on this site. Thanks. It mentioned brake cleaner. I didn't think of that. I have used that for stains on clothes and to get ink out of carpet.

12. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

If you mean "brake fluid" (i.e. that goes in brake lines to make them work) then DON'T. It is an extremely effective slow-motion duco remoover. You won't notice it at first, but in a couple of months you'll be losing the paintwork where it's touched your vehicle.

Cyngbaeld has a point about volatile cleaners. I would never have imagined rubbing so hard that friction would heat things to ignition point, but I can imagine someone doing it now. Silly, of course. Stupid even. But imaginable, in view of the number of not-so-bright people in the world.

Bearing that in mind, I still find what we call "white spirits" or Shellite and you call Coleman fuel an extremely effective cleaner for these sorts of sticky things - adhesives, tars, tree sap, artificial chewing gum (not the natural chicle-based ones), even lubricants that have oxidised to a tar-like consistency over time.

13. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

Hi Connie..

I am a little late responding to this post, but I have the solution for you!
    My husband has this stuff called "De-Solv-It" contractor's solvent. It works GREAT for removing gunk and I think it would work for your purpose very well. An added bonus is it smells like fresh oranges, so no yucky chemically smell.

Earlier this year, my daughter sat down on the stump of a pine tree my husband had just cut. You can imagine the sap that got on the back of her coat and jeans legs. Well, this stuff on a rag got it right out with no scrubbing and then the coat and jeans laundered beautifully.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

~Berta

14. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Whiterock beat me to it. All you need is WD-40.

16. connie in WV

Thanks guys. Ok...WD40 or De-Sol-It. I did mean brake cleaner. The aerosol can thingy. Works great on lots of stains.

I'm armed and ready and off to the van. I'll let you know what works.

17. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Maybe you should have made SURE that you had to remove it...that happened to us in GA and we asked higher up and they grandfathered us in because it was original equipment on the van. I know that doesn't help you, but it might someone else.

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Never use gasoline as a solvent or cleaning fluid!

19. connie in WV

WD40 is the winner! I used that because I had it handy. Sprayed it good and let it soak for a couple of minutes. Scraped it lightly with a razor blade and repeated. Worked like a charm. Took me less than 15 min. to do both windows. Very quick and minimal effort.

I would have never thought to use WD40. I'm pretty sure the inside of my van doors are well lubricated too! Thanks for the advice.

20. connie in WV

Unfortunately we did have to remove it because it was not factory installed. MD has pretty strict regulations. Believe me, we checked into that before we took it off because we wanted to keep it.