Removing Skin Moles?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by yuvgotmel, Jul 23, 2006.

1. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel Well-Known Member

Hi, :help:

I feel kind of goofy asking this question but what the heck! :rolleyes: Does anyone have a homemade or at least a good reliable way of removing skin moles without burning them off? Thanks

2. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

My Mother puts vitamin E oil on them then covers the mole with a bandaid. Really soak them in it. Repeat daily. They usually fall off within a couple of weeks. Please be careful that they are just plain moles and not skin cancer tho. That stuff is very dangerous!

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Don't try it at home! This is a job for a professional medical expert. Even non-cancerous moles can become cancerous if they're mucked around with.

I'm speaking as somebody who has had numerous moles removed (like, dozens!), and also numerous skin cancers of various kinds. It's sometimes difficult to tell the difference, even for an expert.

The 'burning off' process is virtually painless, just a brief sting that passes in a few seconds, but if the moles have deep roots and need to be excised surgically, that procedure also is virtually painless. The only discomfort you feel is the insertion of the local anaesthetic - and that lasts only a second or two. You'll have a stitch or two, depending on the size of the mole, but I've never felt any pain from the procedure. Sometimes, a simple punch biopsy is all that's required to remove a small mole. That, too, is painless except for the local anaesthetic used beforehand.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Castor oil, a dab applied once or twice a day. Cover with a band aid if it is under clothing. The mole will heal at the base, from the outside in, then just fall off.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Dealing with a mole myself right now. Tea Tree oil twice a day (no more, no less) and it seems to be shrinking. At least has gotten lighter in color.

There are over the counter meds for mole removal if you want to go that route.

6. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Please Please Please go to a DERMATOLOGIST and have it examined. My father died of Melanoma. I had a mole removed by a General Practitioner and it was Melanoma. The Dermatologist I went to raised heck with me because she didn't have a chance to see the offending mole before someone else removed it.

Don't try to remove it yourself before anything harmful has been ruled out by a DERMATOLOGIST.

7. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

I agree with the others, have a professional remove it. It is quick, painless and could just save your life. Your life is worth more than the $150 for the office visit. Also, many offices will offer a discount if you don't have insurance. I know many people don't have insurance, but you could make an appointment with a dermatologist to have a general look over, and if no issues are found, then proceed with the homemade remedies.

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

There is an herbal product that has been used by both herbalogists and medical professionals quite extensively for both mole removal and melanoma. The fact sheet is available on the product as well as ordering info. www.herbtime.com The product you are interested in is C-herb.
    Our family has used it for years, having been told about the product by a pharmacist about 20 years ago. Excellent product.
    BW

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

There is NO over the counter MOLE remover - that's Warts - and if you don't know the difference between a mole and a wart you probably shouldn't be attempting to remove either.

I thrice the advise to having moles removed by a professional.

Hugs
    marlene

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I also say get a professional. My sister died from Melanoma & I have had a cancerous mole removed from my back.

Warts you can do at home, moles you should not.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't know how to remove them, but I would make sure that once the mole is removed that you save it. Once you have enough saved up, you could make yourself a nice moleskin jacket or something of the sort.

12. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Most family doctors do them. I have removed probably a thousand. If it is a melanoma, it is staged by the depth of the cancer. If you just destroy the mole you lose the chance at early diagnosis and treatment. A stage 1 has about a 95% cure rate. Stage 4 is way below 50%.

13. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

Get it checked by our doctor. I had one removed a few years ago and have two more that need to be watched. It only takes a few minutes to do and at least my doctor gave me a discount because I did not have insurance at the time to make sure I had it done.

14. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Back on the soapbox. The preferred method of removing a small mole is a punch biopsy. A small plug of skin containing the mole is completely removed. It can then be sliced by a pathologist (preferably a dermatopathologist) to determine the depth and classification of the melanoma if there is one. Scraping, burning etc. may get the mole removed but will not allow proper diagnosis after a problem is discovered by a pathologist. My General Practioner removed the mole on the surface and when it was diagnosed as Melanoma the GP referred me to the dermatologist who immediately proceeded to ream me out about allowing the GP to do the removal. (Since as stated the surface removal disguised the trail)

Please don't play around with this. If you have a melanoma that is 5 mm deep (a little more than 3/16" deep) there's a 50%/50% chance you'll be dead in 5 years. When my Dad's melanoma was discovered it was no bigger than a pencil eraser and he was dead from it in five years even though he had several painful surgeries to remove the initial mole and lymph nodes that were later affected. Chemo and radiation don't help. Only proper surgical removal before the cancer has spread can solve the problem.

There are a lot of skin conditions (and skin cancers) less harmful than melanoma but don't make the mistake of treating yourself as if you have one of them unless melanoma has been ruled out by a Dermatologist. And don't disguise the trail that a dermatologist may need to follow to help you.

I like unconventional things, natural remedies and being frugal but I would not allow anyone but a skilled dermatologist to advise me on this. (I guess that rules me out too!!!)

Good Luck

15. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Put a dab of horse poop on it and cover with a bandage and change daily you'll be amazed at the results. :happy:

16. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A mole is not something to mess with. I am a survivor of melanoma from a level 4 because I went to a dermatologist. Admittedly, I never went to him for the melanoma but for a small skin cancer on my nose. I am in the sun a lot! The wife had instructed me to ask him about the small mole on my neck that he surgically removed and sent to a pathologist. After a major surgery that excised a large segment of my neck and an experimental treatment at Duke I am still here. You have received this input from a person that KNOWS! Go to a dermatologist :)

17. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

EWWWWW! lol :p

yuvgotme, are you sure you're talking about moles? Or do you mean skin tags? Moles are usually a brown colour, skin tags are those little skin-coloured things that dangle by a thread of skin? I hesitate to recommend removing the skin tags yourself, but I admit to doing that. No way was I paying $50 to a doctor for each skin tag, when I could just do it myself within 10 minutes.

Warts can look sorta like moles, but they tend to be more crusty or rough to the touch. Moles are more likely to be brownish or black and soft.

Moles, however, I think are best left to doctors. I wouldn't even try using an herbal remedy such as putting a lotion on it, etc.....how can you know if that might cause your mole to change for the worse? Perhaps turn to cancer? I do know they say to get moles removed if they are in a place where they are irritated a lot, as it can cause changes. No way would I mess with them myself.

And like someone else said, moles can be cancerous and you might not know it. Better that they go and get examined after removal.

DD