Removing Popcorn Ceiling

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Don't want to hijack the painting the ceiling post, but I'd sure like to know how to remove a popcorn ceiling. Whoever did ours did not do the best job, and it has long cracks in it and looks pretty oogy.

We thought about covering it with bead board, but that's expensive and the walls are only just 8' -- I don't want to do anything to make these rooms look any smaller.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
    Pony!

2. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Pony, my experience is that if you wet the stuff, it falls off, but other posters might be more knowledgeable. I wish there was a universal rule that all ceilings had to be smooth finished. It costs a little more, but it sure makes maintenance easier forever...or as ever as we humans are anyway.

3. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw it on tv. You can wet it and just scrape it off with a paint scraper and it will just come right off and the ceiling will be smooth. I wish I knew that a long time ago.

4. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

No kidding???? I have the gross stuff in my DW mobile that is on the market and I don't want to paint it, but it has smokey stains from the fireplace. How messy is this?

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Put a tarp down!!! LOL use a spray bottle and do a small spot at a time. Don't drench it. give the water sometime to work. You;ll get the hang of it. if the ceiling has been painted you may have a problem. you may have to dry scrape and sand.. Figure on spending some time

6. brushe

brushe Member

It's very messy. We just finished doing our ceiling in the living room. We took a water hose with a fine mist spray head. Then scraped it off with a floor scraper.
    Then you need to sand it with a sanding screen. You don't want to get it to wet or the tape may come off. If you have crackes that may be the tape on the joints cracking or coming lose. We're doing the last room that has the popcorn on the ceiling now and have to redo the tape because it was comeing lose.
    Put up plastic on the walls and the floor and everything you don't want to get cover in the stuff. Good luck it's messy but that stuff if terrible for collecting dust.
    Becky

7. Pony

Yuck. But it has to come off!

It has been painted -- repeatedly -- so that may well be an issue. I wonder if Dif or one of those wallpaper peeling products would help? Maybe just scrape a bit first, then wet it (up? Can't be wet it "down" cuz it's the ceiling!) and scrape some more.

BTW, did I mention that the sound of scraping reduces my teeth and spine to powder?

Maybe I can talk DS into coming over to help DH... ;)

THANK YOU for your helpful suggestions! Now I'm back to knocking down some rough spots on the walls I mudded to cover some over-zealous texturing. (It beat putting up new dry wall.)

Pony!

8. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on the age of said ceiling it probably has asbestos in it. We had ours tested. Loaded with asbestos. :grump: We paid to have the downstairs popcorn ceiling professionally removed. It cost TWO arms and a leg. We just painted over the upstairs popcorn ceiling with a sprayer.

9. brushe

brushe Member

When you get it wet it comes right off. If you use a mist setting on the hose sprayer you can spray the ceiling very easily. An eight foot ceiling is a breeze. If you have spots that are hard to come off that when you use the sanding screens.
    Becky

10. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

We just covered ours with 1/4 inch drywall and refinished it, by the time you figure all the work with the wet and scrape method, this may be a better solution for you.

11. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

Asbestos was used in acoustic ceilings until 1966. I would recommend a good breathing mask. I am not saying to do it yourself, but it is very expensive to have done if you use an environmental company.

12. Pony

If I could paint over it, I really would, but there's a crack the length of the dining room, and a poorly done patch near the front door.

Anyone know of a way to repair the crack and patch? If I could get away with it, that's what I'd do.

Pony!

13. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Just saw this on "This Old House", maybe the answer. They were repairing cracked stucco on exterior before repainting. They took a silicon caulk and put it in the crack to cover, then took a stiff brush and pounced it to give it the same texture as the old stucco around it. When done you couldn't tell that there was a crack, except for the difference in color, but once painted it all but disappeared. You might try it with the popcorn ceiling. They mentioned using silicon caulk because it wasn't rigid and less prone to future cracking.

14. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a crack radiating from a light fixture in one of the upstairs bedrooms. It was just a small crack though and when we painted over the popcorn, the crack disappeared after the third application of paint (allowing full drying time between applications).

There was a short but deep gouge in the living room ceiling where someone got a little rambunctious removing the Christmas tree from the stand. I carefully filled that with drywall putty and painted over it. It was about 1/2" wide at the widest point but mostly 1/4" wide. The gouge was about 8" long. After filling and painting, you could still see it if you looked, but was much less noticeable. I kept thinking about getting some kind of spray-on texture, masking around the gouge and trying to give it some camoflauge but never did. Finally sold the house. No more popcorn ceiling for me, ever.

How wide is this room-long crack? Unfortunately, if the crack is from improperly applied texture and not just from the house settling, it could be a harbinger of worse things to come. I've seen popcorn ceilings lose chunks. This can happen if the surface wasn't properly prepped when the popcorn was applied or if the ceiling received water damage at some point which caused the popcorn to lose adhesion.

15. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

As they said you can take some caulk and fill the crack. But don't use silicone inside, the paint may not take, and you can get into a big sticky mess. there are two brands one is called "big stretch" and the other is "polyseamseal" They will expand and are water based. you can squeeze it in the crack and then take your finger or a slighty damp sponge and match the texture around it. You can also buy popcorn repair in a spray can at the borg. S if you have a bigger hole to patch you can patch and then spay. As always get a little practice on a piece of cardboard to get the right look.

16. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been in the process of getting rid of ours at the rate of about one room per year. What we've found to work is to spray it lightly with water (I use a fine mist) one day, then the next day use the shop vac on the ceiling. It works like a charm and has been so much less messy to clean up. Actually my oldest son who was a teenager at the time came up with the idea in order to make the work go quicker and less messy when he was doing one of the bathrooms. .

Good luck!

Dawn

17. Pony

ooooh, I like this idea... Now, were your ceilings painted over? Did that cause a problem for you?

Ah, also a very good idea. The crack is a little larger than hairline... Do I chip it out or leave it as is?

Pony!

18. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I don't even know what a popcorn ceiling is!!! It sounds like someone took the time to paste packing peanuts up there. Anyone care to explain this one to the dummie non-homeowner?
    Thanks, Michelle

19. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I'm a home owner and I've never heard of it either! I do have one ceiling that I suspect might be... It is textured but more like sand. That ceiling is the next to be done which is why I'm reading this with great interest. It is our upstairs hall which will make a HUGE mess of much of the house.

20. heather

heather Well-Known Member

The paint won't be a problem - we've done it several times -
    It is messy, but WORTH IT!! I like the idea of the shop vac - clever