Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are removing linoleum from a concrete floor.
We used boiling hot water mixed with soap to loosen and scrape the tile off the floor. we were not sure if tile contained Asbestos so we used plenty of water to insure no dust was stirred up.
The tile is made by Armstrong and is in a sheet not square tiles.

20140817_181336.jpg

20140823_174016.jpg

After the top layer was removed a lot of paper and glue remained.
we coated the floor with oil to remove as much Mastic as possible.

20140823_174029.jpg

Right now we are left with a white type of adhesive glue that we are unsure how to remove.

We tried HOT WATER AND SOAP and scraping but is does not seems to want to come free.

Any suggestions on what type of adhesive remover we could use to finish this?

I tried mineral spirits but that did not work

Thinking of trying paint thinner?

·
plains of Colorado
4,154 Posts
We removed this from 3 rooms just with water and scraping. We let the water soak for a while before we scraped.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
You may need to use some sort of stripper. Experiment til you find one that works. Put it on and cover with plastic. Strippers can not be allowed to dry up, yet they often need 30 minutes to work. Have plenty of ventilation as you do this. Not fun! A long handled floor scraper may be helpful in that it will allow you to stay away from the fumes.

·
Learning the Hard Way
120 Posts
I have successfully used a pressure washer. However it is a challenge to move the water out of the house and to avoid water damage to walls and what not. I used it in a garage and had my son using a floor squeegee pushing the water out behind me, but it did work.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I have 1100 sq ft of linoleum to remove the next time our rental house becomes vacant, so I've done some research on this. A soy product called Bean-ee-doo (spelling?) is a non toxic mastic stripper that gets some pretty good reviews....but also some that say it's a real mess. It also depends on what's going over your concrete when you're done as some say the soy oil residue soaks into the concrete and causes adhesion problems later...but you may run into that with the oil you've already used.

Anyway, I've read about everything from using a grinder to level it down to throwing dry ice down to make it flake off....I think I'll give the bean-ee-doo a try when the time comes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did this exact type of job a few years back.

I used a product called Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover (Homedepot / Lowes) and aluminum foil. I didn't try plastic because I felt it to flexible, alum foil is somewhat rigid and is easy to apply. I worked in about 1 foot sections (dictated by the width of the alum foil). Experiment with longer section!

Paint it on, cover it with the foil and let it sit. Remove foil/scrape and wipe clean with turpentine.

I wouldn't use a highly volatile solvent (acetone, laquer thinner etc) due to the explosive atmosphere you may create.

This a tedious job at best and having knee pads (good ones) is imperative.

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jokarva
I actually used Bean-ee-do on some black mastic that was covered with carpet.
I have a post showing my progress you may want to look at.
thing is the soy or oil based product worked great for the black mastic. but not so sure this adhesive is petroleum based because it did not soften it at all. I also plan to use pressure washer to do a finishing clean on all the floors. I have this attachment

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ACC-31056-00-13-Surface-Cleaner-inches/dp/B00EYZE6C0

I think I will try an adhesive remover and I like the tin foil idea.
just want to get more adhesive removed before I start using pressure washer

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have done this job many times. Easiest and chemical free way to do it is with a demo hammer (rented from home depot or rental store). Usually these take a sds plus bit. the bit needed is sold at all home centers and about $20. this combo will scrape the glue up and leave the concrete clean and undamaged. Also works on removing tiles.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
.............I would think a commercial floor sander with an abrasive disc would remove the mastic from the concrete surface . Basically , just like sanding a wooden floor ! , fordy

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
What about using heat to soften the glue, then scrape it off?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Sheet vinyl is adhered with a latex (water based) adhesive, so petroleum solvents aren't going to do much. Scrape the secondary backing off (an 8" Super Scraper will save your back and knees), leaving just the adhesive. Rent a floor buffer with a sanding disc, and use 15 grit discs. If you've never used a floor buffer/sander before start out in the middle of your largest room. Keep in mind that level (neither up nor down) angle on the disc is "neutral".

You'll still have some residue in the concrete, but it's not worth the effort to use acid to get it out.

What are you going back with that you need a pristine slab for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are taking all floors down to concrete. Then we will see how acid etching goes (it will depend on the lime content and porosity of concrete).
If etching does not work we will paint and seal. Concrete is our best option for a child with severe allergies.
I originally planned or using a floor buffer with pad to do the entire house, but discovered that there was some asbestos mastic.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/co...on/523185-black-adhesive-mastic-asbestos.html

This prevents me from using any technique that will generate dust.
Most if not all Black mastic is removed from floor but still plan on using a WET removal method to be on the safe side.
I do agree what is left is not a petroleum based adhesive and boiling hot water does break it down.
I plan on trying a couple of methods this weekend and will post the results
Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts