Removing corn (dent) from the cob.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jwulf, Oct 17, 2004.

1. jwulf

jwulf Member

I grew my first heirloom corn this year and was wondering what the easiest way to remove the corn from the cob? It's a dent corn (Ohio Blue Clariage) and I let it dry on the stock for as long as I could before picking. I now have it in the house doing the final drying.

I would like to save some kernels for next years seed as well as using some for grinding into meal in case you remove the kernels differently...

Thanks!

James Wulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When it is good and dry, put on a pair of work gloves, preferably some that have leather or grippy palms. Hold the ear down inside a paper bag. Twist the ear back and forth thru your hands while gripping firmly. Seeds should come off fairly easily and drop into the bag.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Please tell us where you got the original corn seed (seed company
    name and contact). Thanks.
    Ann

4. jwulf

jwulf Member

Thanks for the info on kernel removal; I will give that a try.

The seed came from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.

-jwulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com

5. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

For shelling seed corn, or small amounts of feed corn, there's a little hand held corn sheller, costs about $5. You can get it from Lehmans, or from NASCO. http://www.lehmans.com/ or http://www.enasco.com (Farm & Ranch catalog) Looks like 1/2 a soda can in size, but with tapering thick walls w/ridges on the inside to remove the kernals. Works great!

6. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I thought the easiest way was just to ring it. We also, if the corn was really nice and dry just run the cobs up and down on each other like those musical sticks in elementary school.

Would keep a bushel basket underneath.

7. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Not only the biggest seed but the biggest and best looking ear of corn. Even the one that may have more rows on it. (the fattest ear of corn)

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Shumway has a hand held ring thing that shells very nicely. I think they still carry it because someone grabbed my e-mail address off the old forum and asked me about it. They were in south america someplace working in a small village. It is really weird to still be getting so much e-mail off the old site.

We save only the middle couple of rows from the very best ears for our seed.