Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Happy Homemaker
1,486 Posts
I broke all three bones in my ankle last May. I didn't even know there was three bones in there! I have a plate (with 5 screws attaching it) and 3 screws in the bones. I haven't even considered removing them.....guess I never thought about it. Doc didn't get a chance to talk to me about it because I was a bad girl and didn't go back to the doc after I got my cast off! :cool:To much work to do!

DH broke his leg around 10 years ago and has a titanium rod and several screws. His Doc at the time told him the could remove it but that his leg could easily break after that. The bone would never be as strong as it was. He chose to leave it in cause he is a rough and tumbly sort of fella and sure as can be he would break it again. He does have some pain from time to time but nothing life altering.

All of that to say I just don't know. Personally unless me plate and screws just started causing extreme pain I would pass on them cutting me open again. That was NOT fun! I have had problems with the screws on one side since I lost some weight because my ankle slimmed down and now the screw head sticks out a bit more. I just have to be really selective on my shoes. I wear my lace-up boots whenever possible because my ankle does like to roll.

· Happy Homemaker
1,486 Posts
Also wanted to add that my ankle movement is limited. I can not run because it doesn't bend. Well, I can run but I look like a peg legged pirate!:ashamed:

I guess if I wasn't such a weenie and so scared of it breaking again I would probably have them taken out. But I am a weenie. :cool: And very clumsy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.