Removal and/or clipping of Razor Teeth

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by i2sweeet, Jan 1, 2006.

1. i2sweeet

i2sweeet Member

How do you do it?
    When is it too late?

Leona

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Leona,
    I don't clip the teeth, remove the tails or the testicles from any of my piglets.
    They don't need the stress, I don't need the stress and it serves no useful purpose - at least as far as I'm concerned. Few pig breeders here now go to that trouble when it was recognised that there was no discernable benefit to the pig other than to knock it's condition back.

And a Happy New Year to you too. :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The only thing Ronney and I disagree on is the castration. I do castrate, but clipping the teeth and cutting the tails is a waste of time.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we cut the teeth....again, personal preference. I have seen it tear the udders up on the sows. You have to decide what is best for you. We did not clip when we first had piglets. The sows udders were sore, cut, and they were in pain. When we clipped the sow was more comfortable.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

teeth clipping and casteration is ALWAYS benificial, docking is benificial only if kept in confinement. Teeth clipping is easy when very young, simply use a small wire clutter to nip them off at the base where the tooth meets the gum.

Remember, whenever you post a question on these sites there will be an opinionated busybody who gives an unsolicited opinion and makes no effort to answer your question.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Just as a matter of interest Tinkal, who or what made you write that last sentance. You seem to be inferring that there are opinionated busbody's giving unsolicitated opinions when in fact several people have now offered Leona a choice. You have given your opinion as well - clipping and castration are ALWAYS beneficial. Some of us obviously don't think so but Leona can look at the broader information and take her decision from there - and surely, that's what this site is about.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. tinknal

Ronny, did the poster ask your opinion? Why do you feel that your opinion is so important that it should be offered to those who do not ask for it? Can you support your opinion with facts?

8. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

tinknal, you've offered your opinion as well as the rest of us, and that's perfectly fine. There's no one and only way to do anything. We can all listen and learn, try new ideas or discard them as the case may be. If you've found clipping the teeth to be beneficial for you, that fine. Keep doing it. It just so happens that I've seen no benefit at all from it. Ronney and I have disagreed on the castration before, but we can disagree without making personal attacks. That doesn't help anyone.

9. tinknal

I can back up my opinion with facts, can you?

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

"The poster DID INDEED ask for Ronny's opinion when she posted the question. It was not directed to any one individual. The answer to your question is YES.

11. tinknal

Buckshot, please show me exactly where an opinion was solicited. The original post asked how to do it, not what you think about it. English comprehension anyone?

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

oh, my bad....you are right....but you are still hoity toity and rude regardless.

13. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Ahh, and English was never one of my favorite subjects. I liked science and ag much better.

14. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Leona, we clip ours at about 12 hours old. We use side cutter pliars. Watch your fingers, we hold them head up by us, laying on their back, body kind of in the armpit area, hold the jaw apart and clip away. That is also when we give iron shots, doc tails and notch ears. We doc the tails, because they are showier in the ring, and when we do keep back a gilt from the crop, her tail doesn't swish in the afterbirth and gunk and fling it everwhere...

15. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

So, guys, when is it too late?

16. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Laura,
    Ideally the teeth should be clipped within 24 hours of birth but along with tail docking and castration, should be done within one week of birth. Too late depends on how big a piglet you want to handle and the laws of your country/state.

Tinknal, as Buckshotboers said, you are hoity toity and rude. Even a cretin could have worked out that your post was directed at me but by association you also included several members that gave an opinion but no instructions. Your opinion wasn't asked for either but you went on to give it nevertheless along with your opinion on another forum member which was definately not asked for. If you have a personal problem with me, be honest and upfront enough to say so.

Tyusclan and myself agree to disagree on the subject of castration. We were able to do this without degenerating to personal attacks on each other and that is the way it should be.

Yes, I can back up my opinions with facts. I didn't post them because I doubted that anybody wanted to read a book. However, should you wish to know why I don't clip teeth I will be more than happy to tell you.

Thankyou to those that recognise that a forum dealing with specific subjects becomes a place of learning, shareing of ideas, broadens the horizons and gives rise to lateral thinking and choices.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

17. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Laura...as mentioned above, any work you do on your piglets should be done within the first 24 hours. The piglets are easy to catch (which won't last long!) and the sow is very groggy and docile for the first day or so. After that, depending on the sow, you might have problems trying to get to her litter....depends though. Good luck.

http://goldforest.blogspot.com/

18. tinknal

Ronny, what I posted is only opinion if you consider saftey and feed effiency as an option. As previously stated, tusks tear the heck out of the udder, and become effective weapons when the pig matures. Testicles, on a meat animal reduces feed effiency, meat quality, and increases aggression. Case in point, I still have mine, and I show aggression (or as you say, I'm "rude and hoity toity")