Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very long story but end result my DS#1 is now living here with his son. The baby has just turned a year and after a very hard month has decided not to eat. He is teething, he had his first year shots, he had a cold and a stomic bug as well.

He is still on formula, sleeping well and busy so it doesn't seem to really be bugging him. I dont remember ever having this sort of problem with mine but my baby is 20 so it was a while ago. I can't find my copy of Feed Me, I'm Yours, or anything usefull on google. Not that I have much time as my DS#1 also has a job (I did wish for that :frypan:) so now I babysit six days a week 5 to 14 hours a day.

So we are down to cheerios, puff wheat and cheese. Other than that the rest is sometimes foods. I had always heard that babies would eat when they were hungry but we are into week three. The plan was to intraduce milk now that we have got him on to regular formula. Now I just dont know and am too tired to figure it out.

Anyone else having this problem or an idea on something good he might eat

Thanks

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Very long story but end result my DS#1 is now living here with his son. The baby has just turned a year and after a very hard month has decided not to eat. He is teething, he had his first year shots, he had a cold and a stomic bug as well.

He is still on formula, sleeping well and busy so it doesn't seem to really be bugging him. I dont remember ever having this sort of problem with mine but my baby is 20 so it was a while ago. I can't find my copy of Feed Me, I'm Yours, or anything usefull on google. Not that I have much time as my DS#1 also has a job (I did wish for that :frypan:) so now I babysit six days a week 5 to 14 hours a day.

So we are down to cheerios, puff wheat and cheese. Other than that the rest is sometimes foods. I had always heard that babies would eat when they were hungry but we are into week three. The plan was to intraduce milk now that we have got him on to regular formula. Now I just dont know and am too tired to figure it out.

Anyone else having this problem or an idea on something good he might eat

Thanks
The teething is probably a big factor in why he doesn't want to eat much. Those gums hurt. Maybe some bananas, either mashed up or cut into tiny, tiny pieces. Soft foods like mashed potatoes or super soft squashed up baked sweet potatoes. That's all I can think of right now. My youngest is 17 so I'm out of practice in this area.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
When mine were teething, I'd give them frozen peas - a few at a time on their tray. Eased the pain from the gums and they got some nourishment along with it. You might try frozen carrot coins cut in small pieces so he doesn't choke.

Cold applesauce (for his gums), mashed bananas....

Please, whatever you do, don't make it an issue and force him to eat as it's too easy to eventually turn into a power struggle. He sounds like a healthy happy baby - that's great! AND kudos to you for being a caring G'mom.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd say the teething and stomach ache arethe problem. Just make sure he is staying well hydrated- water apple juice milk etc . He will feel worse if he is dehydrated. Honestly I would let him have Popsicles and ice cream since he's sick and you could mash up some fruit in it, put some sprinkles on it- my kids will eat anything with sprinkles :) or yogurt, stuff that is not a lot of work to chew.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
How many teeth does he have? Do you and you DS sit down and eat with him?

Now is the time for winter squash. Bake one and put a little butter and brown sugar on it. It will give him fiber, protein and Vit A, if he likes it. I would think he would be getting constipated with the things you listed. Baked apples would maybe tempt him. I would peel them because of his age.

Also any other kids coming over that you could cook for too. Food/eating is such a social activity.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
What was he eating before?

My first baby barely ate a thing until he was fifteen months old. My second is just past a year and eats everything. I just give her bits of whatever we are eating on her highchair tray, she feeds herself.

For awhile she'd eat rice puffs all day if I let her. I quit that, and just stick her in her chair at meal times with bits of whatever we're having. Works fine. Rice is binding and not so great when they aren't eating much... I limit her to a snack of puffs no more than 2x a week now. I carry those organic pouches in the diaper bag for when we are out, she loves those.

Her brother is six. I told DH a few months ago I had apparently forgotten how to feed a baby, lol.

Hyland's teething tabs really have helped my children when they have been cutting teeth. Tylenol on occasion, but we haven't needed it often. I'd try it though, sometimes they seem fine until you give pain relief and see how much happier they suddenly become.

From what you allude to, it sounds like the baby has had so much change. That is so hard, for all of you.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
For teething I used a frozen mini bagel or mini corn on the cob for my now 16 yo DS. The mini bagel absorbed the drool when it thawed out. ;) Mixed mashed banana and peanut butter spoon fed was a favorite of my friend's son.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Arent they supposed to be weaned off formula after a year?
I could be mistaken..
Formula always upset my kids stomachs, I do remember the spit up more than anything..

I know when I got a stomach bug last christmas I didnt each much for 2 weeks. The first week I hardly left the bed.
Eating was torture, then add teething..
Poor lad has the odds stacked against him.

Be careful with milk. Its not good on a bad stomach and with all the sugars that milk has in it its probably not good either.
Cheese I know will constipate some kids like crazy. Mine it never seemed to bother, but a cousin of ours, a piece and shed be stopped up for 2-3 days complaining of a stomach ache.

Id also be weary of that processed stuff they call baby snacks (cheerios, puffs, veggie sticks...).
I know when I eat a bunch of processed foods my stomach gets to turning.
Try natural foods as suggested above.

Im trying to remember what I did for teething.
I know theyll drool a lot and their sinuses can get crazy during teething, which can end up in the stomach, further upsetting it..

Poor guy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If he's over a year old, are you using Next Step Formula for toddlers? My son was disgusted by it. It does taste awful - like bad protein powder! We just elected to put him on milk. If he's not tolerating cows milk well, you could try goats milk. If animal proteins are too much, you may wish to speak to the pediatrician about vegetable proteins like soy or nut milk (I would opt for almond milk over soy though, so long as there isn't a history of food allergies in the family)

He should be dropping down to about 16-24 oz of milk a day now, and he can have other fluids in between. If he's eating a balanced, whole diet with other sources of calcium, and he's maintaining his development curve then I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Is he happy?
Is he smiling?
Is he actively playing/tearing up the house?

If he is doing these things, then he is ok.
A fussy, cranky, listless baby is a bad thing.

And I would be more apt to offer fruits and veggies over the empty carbs of the cereals.
Anything over the cereals.
And at that age, mine wanted real food.
Meatloaf, chicken pot pie, and his favorite.. 'cheesy squash' - a 1-3 zuchinni/yellow squash mix that was cooked soft and blended and topped with a little melted cheese. Surprisingly good. Really.

But as long as he is active and laughing he must be doing ok...

·
Registered
456 Posts
He's drinking his formula, so nutritionally he should be okay. One isn't too young for this to become a power struggle game. I'm no doctor, but I have five kids that'll eat almost anything and a new baby, so I've got some experience. Here's my suggestion: forget him eating. When you are sitting down to eat, sit him in his high chair with his sippy cup of formula and two or three bits of what you are having, or some other real food item that's age appropriate. Two grains of cooked and squashed rice, two slivers of cooked carrot, three crumbs of baked potato, whatever it is. Let him play with it--eventually it'll go in his mouth, he's at that age--but let meal times be the social experience of sitting in the high chair until he decides he wants some more of that yummy stuff Grandma has. Don't let him stress you out about meals. He isn't hungry if he's getting all the formula he wants, so he's not going to eat from hunger at this point. As he gets older, gets over teething and gets healthy again, and his new home becomes his routine situation you'll reduce his amount of formula and transition him to milk, and he'll start eating more solids.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. It seems harder when they aren't yours. I was leaning towards him just being in a phase but it's nice to hear that from other moms too. I haven't made it an issue but mine where all older when they tried the a food war. Told them I only had to cooked healthy meals and it was up to them to eat it or not. Never figured I would be saying it to a baby

He was eating fruits and veggies almost any baby food I served. He did visit with his mother and her people around that time too. I would ask if anything happened but I dont want to get burried in that can of worms. I'll just keep offering food eventually he will eat more. Instead of booming the cat with it :D That and try to get everyone back to the kitchen table for dinner.

It's been one heck of a ride to get here. But at least we don't have to worry about where the baby is or how bad bad can be anymore. Now its food and if he is too smart for our own good lol. He is such a happy baby considering all the stuff that has gone on over his first year that is a blessing. I set up a bird feeder for him and the cat. The cat tries to get things through the window and the baby laughs. The best entertainment system yet! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts