Remind me about puncture wounds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jennigrey, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Something beyond "don't get them" because it's already too late for that advice.

For years I've only worn boots with steel shanks because I'm around nail-in-the-foot situations a lot. Well, what with one thing and another, a couple of months ago I had occasion to buy a pair of non-steel-shanked boots and was foolishly wearing them today while I worked and - yep - stepped on a really nasty nail. I think it went in my foot a good inch.

I'm up-to-date on my tetanus (although approaching year 7 or 8), washed it really good, slathered it with a topical antibiotic (the name escapes me just now) and hid the evidence from DH :angel: who would chastise me roundly for working in my non-work boots. And I would deserve it. :nono:

Anything I'm forgetting about puncture wounds? An epsom soak each evening perhaps? More often? A poultice? Of what?

I'll talk to my doc about it tomorrow, since DH needs to go in for his tetanus booster anyway. I'll fess up about the dumb thing I did and take what's coming to me, and then we can both go in and get updated at the same time.

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

go get a tetanus booster, and an antibiotic shot into the puncture.

3. jennigrey

Aw, man. Really? That sounds unpleasant.

But then, so do infections.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Get the tetanus shot, but the doctor will probably recommend watchful waiting. If the wound stays clear there's no problem, but it it gets red and/or puffy then further treatment by the dr will be needed.

5. jennigrey

Thanks for the guidance. I'll go in for the booster tomorrow and do what the doc says. More or less.

I'll let you know if I die!

6. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

yup, get the booster. had a great aunt make it to 93, lived that much of life then taken out by a nail.

pretty sure that peroxide and alcohol (rubbing) are bad for punctures.

7. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

the trick with healing puncture wounds is to get it to heal from the inside out ... that way you don't have any nasty left in after it closes over. hydrogen peroxide is a big help with this but the most important thing is to flush it out real good and keep flushing it everyday.

new tetanus shot also a good idea , antibiotics aren't necessary unless it does heal over an infection , gets puffy red and inflamed around the wound more than a coupla days after you got punctured.

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

nurse here. :)

the reason puncture wounds are dangerous is because the point of entry is very small. a nail or other sharp object carries a ton of bacteria deep into your foot, where the healing effects of sunlight, air, peroxide, epsom salts or antibiotic creams can't reach. the hole closes over the wound soon after it happens, trapping all that bacteria inside.

not light, no air = overgrowth of anearobic bactria, the kind that thrive in the absence of oxygen. they are particularly nasty and dangerous, especially if it has nicked one of the many small bones in your feet. the cure requires a weeklong hospital stay with iv antibiotics, at the very least. with any of the many possible complications, a much longer stay with the possibility of the loss of limb.

the old tetanus shot is the least of your worries. please see a doctor, asap.

9. jennigrey

Yes'm. Making the call...

10. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

A good soak in Epsom salts in very warm water a couple times a day for 3 or 4 days. I've had more puncture wounds than I care to admit, and never been to a doctor for any of them. When I get real macho and decide I do not need to soak them, I invariably get an infection. However, never had an infection when I soaked them. It has to be hot, or as hot as you can stand.

11. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

anything past five years and your not up to date according to all the docs I ever talked to. As with any wound, puncture or otherwise, pack that rascal with honey. Just plain ol honey outta the lil jar on the table. Best healant and disinfectant I have ever found. :)

12. jennigrey

Back from the doc. She says it's only about 3/4 of an inch deep and at an angle so it's shallow enough to be away from all the bones. She says soak it in hot water a few times a day, no epsom salts needed. She wrote me a prescription for cipro that I'm to fill at the first hint of infection. Otherwise, she thinks that the triple antibiotic I've been using and the soakings will take care of it.

Thanks, everyone!

13. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

good. :)

14. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

bread and milk poltice is great for blood poisoning. I've seen it work a dozen times.

15. jennigrey

OW! :Bawling:

Hey, this tetanus injection site hurts worse than the nail puncture did! Man, what a ripoff! :grump:

I have some advice regarding puncture wounds: DON'T GET THEM!

16. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Yup when you get the shot your injecting toxins like mercury and aluminum in your body. Way worse than the cut its self.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

dont forget those doctors slip anthrax and experimental chemicals in your shots. Some even inject you with tracking chips.

mercury and aluminum.... in a tetanus toxoid shot... ugh.

18. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Next time you may want to read the ingriedients of the vaccines CN, there no tinfoil hat consiracy in facts. The vaccine insert for the tetnus short per the manufacturer (ingredients at the bottom).....

19. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

Don't knock or shrug off the need for tetanus toxoid shots. Keep them up to date! You don't need to step on a nail or be cut by something rusty to get it.I'm an ER nurse in a major Pa medical center. Recently we had a patient that came in & died of tetanus. Apparently something jammed under his nailbed (a splinter or something)& that's all it took. Tetanus loves to thrive in manure & the spores get carried in the dust carried by the winds . You don't need to be near a farmto get it.It's a mean way to die.
    Honey & other poultices are no match for it & not risking your life for it.

20. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Stepped on a nail back in 1981, caught Ostio-mylitus (sp), had to have the big toe socket and joint removed via this bone rot situtation, next to gang green. Your situtation is not to be ignored at any cost.

This can spread and kill you. Period. I got an IV every 4 hours for 32 days to combat this, do not play with such if you are diagnosed with such.