Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
newfieannie
9,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and those who still serve, also the wounded etc

the pic. was taken at Jack Dempsey's bar around 41 or so. these are mostly American boys. maybe some didn't come back. some of you might recognize your GF. if they lived they would be between 80 and 90 or more now. ~Georgia.

Attachments

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
Georgia those fellas sure look like they're have a great time. The sailor second from the left, if he is American, is probably from the Philadelphia area--that naval district wore the dark dixie cups.

This is my veteran, circa 1954. His American Legion post will be at the local school today talking about their service and being treated to lunch by the PTA. They've got a Pearl Harbor survivor among them. Dad will tell them why he joined the service--to get away from his mother. LOL.

His father served in the Somme during the first war to end all wars. Cousins served at Iwo Jima and Okinawa during the second war to end all wars. Dad got to cruise the Caribbean during the Korean conflict (his ship never left the Atlantic--it was a repair ship).

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you to all who have fought to keep our country free!

"All Gave some; some gave all!" Let's remember them all in our thoughts and prayers today.

Here's one of my Dad and the crew he flew with in a B17 for 50 missions in the Army Air Corp...before it became the Air Force. My dad is the 2nd from the right in the first row. He was one of the Waist Gunners on the plane.

Here's one...a more formal portrait.

·
newfieannie
9,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my gosh that guy looks just like a british actor. at first I was going to say John Mills but no there is someone else he's the spittin image of or at least to me. ~Georgia.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks to all vets, but especially my cousin Tim who served recently in Afghanistan, and before that Germany and Korea.
Also my grandfather and great uncle who were in world war 2, and my great great grandpa who fought for the union in the civil war. I never knew you but thanks.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
Tommy, your granddad born here, or somewhere else?
Bill, Grandpa was Dad's stepfather but was his dad ;). I think he was born here in the US but he did live in Canada for a while and I think that's when he went France.

That's got to be either her Dad or twin brother. If it's her Dad, that apple sure didn't fall far from the tree.
You talking about me or HandyMama?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Here's my grand father.. He's the one on the left marked ME

He was the ball turret gunner on Betsy... I saw his service jacket. My brother has it. He had well over 25 missions. Some of those missions they lost men on his plane. I've read some of his log books, and man was there some crazy times for those men.....

He's still kicking at 92 in San Francisco... He still gets on his bicycle and rides 10 miles or so a few times a week...

My father is a retired Chief Master Sargent from the AF,after 30 years, and my brother is Colonel in the AF serving in California as a squadron commander.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts