Remember when they painted your tonsils for a sore throat?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by jlxian, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Do you remember when you were a kid and the doctor or your mom/dad would paint your tonsils when you had a horrible sore throat? My dad did this for us kids and I swear he used merthiolate and a q-tip. Is this something we could do today? Is there some other substance that would work better or be safer? Does this actually work? I don't remember having strep throat until I was an adult.

2. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

Chloraseptic sore throat spray. It works, is fruit flavored and doesn't make you gag.

3. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

I sure wish I had that info back when I was hollaring and Moma was saying that burning was the medicine working. I thought it was killing me and looks like I was right. :eek::eek: :Bawling::Bawling: Eddie

4. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

Eddie, I know how you feel. My dad would put it on a q-tip and make me suck the q-tip. It did seem to work but I guess I was wise to be afraid of the stuff.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I would never tell my mom when my throat hurt, because she used to paint with iodine. Don't know which made me gag worse, the iodine or the swabbing itself.

Pony!

6. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

Was the painting done for strep? We kids never had it done, but shortly after my parents were married they both got sick & the doctor swabbed their throats. Mom could handle it but Daddy gagged so bad he didn't trust doctors after that! I guess that's what saved us from having it done. :D

7. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Didn't the medication they use to use for that have mercury in it?

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...I read this as "Remember when they painted your TOENAILS for a sore throat".

I need to have my eyes checked.

9. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Interesting that the "poisonous ingredient" listed on the website is thimerosol, the same ingredient they use in flu shots. ;)

I'm presently on a waiting list to get my tonsils removed....at age 43! LOL Not looking forward to that, I hear that it's not a nice thing to get done. But then again, chronically painful throats all winter ain't no picnic either.