Remember the mini-Rex that was sick?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Judy in IN, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, the little tri-colored house bunny that my daughter brought home went through 2 courses of Baytril and took a turn for the worse right before I left on vacation. He was lethargic, with ears down, and just looked miserable. I brought back penicillin from Mexico, and persuaded DD to try it along with the Baytrill. After 3 days, Tobey responded! He sropped rattling (lungs) about three days ago. His eyes are still a little goopy, but I'm hoping they will clear up before he finishes his course of penicillin. And, he's in here visiting me while I'm on the computer. This was a case of kill or cure. I wonder if the combination of the two antibiotics was the key, or if it was the penicillin?

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad he is doing better, poor little guy. Can't offer much in the way of info regarding antibiotics. If the Baytril was not helping after two courses, I would think it was likely the wrong drug for the infection. Penicillin is, of course, a broad spectrum drug and works well against most things if they are not resistant to it from over-usage.. It does sound like a case of kill or cure... sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures. Glad it worked!

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Awesome! I hope he lives out the remainder of his life as healthily as possible, considering his condition. With all the stuff you guys are trying, he sounds like he will! :)

Good luck!

4. Judy in IN

Yes, he is doing LOTS better! I picked up some eye drops for him last night. The goop has dried around his eyes, and he's scratching at it. I'll post a picture when I get on my own computer.

Night before last, I was in the computer room and Toby bounced in for a visit. He hasn't shown any interest in hay or grass thus far, but I had been munching on raw cauliflower at the keyboard, and had thrown away the part that we don't eat. Toby reared up against the office trash can and told me something smelled good in there. :) So, I fished out the base of the cauliflower, and he sat there and just crunched and munched away! I'm going to try him on grass and hay again. Maybe, due to his illness, it didn't taste good. :shrug:

I told DD that we're going to have to put a bell on the little guy. I can't hear him anymore, since he doesn't rattle now. I only hear him when he's crossing the hardwood floor from rug to rug. He seems to be more continent also. His pellets always looked good, but he couldn't always make it to the potty with his urine. He's a sweetie!

5. Judy in IN

This is Tobey when we first got him. He was still dirty from being in his own waste, and sick.

[​IMG]

6. Judy in IN

This is Toby now, sharing his/my microsuede chair.

[​IMG]