Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hFriend bought a few heifers. Seller sold as bred heifers and gave Trimester and predicted due date. All calved on time but one. He fed and treated this heifer as pregnant for 3 mths. Question: After taking to have palpated and confirming no pregnancy, What should the sellers remedy be? A calf? A trade back? He does not want to get rid of the one he bought or trade back. Anyone know whats customarily done in this case?

·
Registered
299 Posts
It depends on whether the seller sold the heifers as guaranteed bred or just as exposed. If sold as exposed, the buyer has no recourse. If sold as guaranteed bred, the buyer should be able to get his/her purchase money back if they so desire. A word of warning - just because a vet preg test came up with the heifer being open does not mean the heifer is not bred. The last time we had our cows/heifers preg tested the vet said a fair number of them were open, but they all delivered on time despite what the vet said.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were sold as Vet Checked Bred Heifers. Bill of sale states bred as well. I personally would want a calf, or the price of a calf.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Depends on their agreement at the time of the sale. What was actually guaranteed?

She could very well have been pregnant when she left the seller's place, but aborted the calf un-noticed by the buyer. Also, she should have been having heat cycles if she was open to begin with, or after she lost the fetus, why didn't the buyer notice this?

If I was the seller, I would take her back for a refund, or else I would tell them to run her thru the auction and I'd pay the difference from what they got for her. But I darn sure wouldn't pay the buyer for a hypothetical calf! I don't know of anyone who would guarantee their buyer a live, weaned calf.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bough a cow that was confirmed pregnant at the vet when I bought it. She never did have a calf and she never did get pregnant again we had to eat her. Cows loose babies and sometimes we never know why. I know with some breed registries they will ask you to return the cow and you get your money back but if he doesn't want to send the cow back nothing happens. He also might be able to trade that cow for another with the person who sold it but he might not want to.
If I sold one there is no way I would give someone a calf or the price of one since it was out of my control. I usually sell as pasture exposed and have sold a few as pregnant but made the vet write a note saying they were that day but no guarantees.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If i was the buyer of vet checked bred hiefers id be buying hiefers that were checked by a vet and have been bred. Bred dont mean preganant just means theyve been bred.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The reverse can also be true. Animals that are determined to be bred at 40 days or so may not be bred 3 or 4 months down the road. They can lose the pregnancy.
That is always a possibility, but it has no effect on an animal that was sold as 'guaranteed bred' unless gross neglect or mistreatment can be proven. Guaranteed bred means just that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually, bred does mean pregnant. Exposed means they have been running with a bull, but makes no claim as to whether they are pregnant or not.
Actually bred is the past tense of breeding. To breed a cow dont gaurentee a pregnancy they can be Bred more than one time and still be open. So theyd be bred cows not bred checked pregnant. I could breed a hiefer in may and say was bred and shed be in second trimester and be due in febuary IF she settled. Yes exposed does mean been with a bull.

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Most sellers can say an animal is guaranteed bred (meaning actually confirmed pregnant), and she may well have been. Unless they say "guaranteed live calf", there's no guarantee you'll have a live calf. That just means if the cow aborts, they'll replace the animal or provide a calf. MOST people don't sell animals that way, because there are SO many things that can go wrong in a pregnancy, and it's out of the seller's control once money changes hands and the animal leaves.

Even if it was guaranteed bred, there's nothing the seller is liable for because there is no way for them to prove the cow didn't lose the calf at the new location.

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Actually, bred does mean pregnant. Exposed means they have been running with a bull, but makes no claim as to whether they are pregnant or not.
Yes, when you sell a "bred" animal, you are selling one that is pregnant. Exposed means has been with a bull or bred via AI, but not confirmed pregnant. When you buy a "bred" animal, you want to see proof that the animal is indeed pregnant, by either Biotracking results or a vet report. OR, have your vet check it on the day you buy the animal.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Actually bred is the past tense of breeding. To breed a cow dont gaurentee a pregnancy they can be Bred more than one time and still be open. So theyd be bred cows not bred checked pregnant. I could breed a hiefer in may and say was bred and shed be in second trimester and be due in febuary IF she settled. Yes exposed does mean been with a bull.
Thanks for the dictionary lesson, But in the real world if I buy a bred heifer it means she is with calf.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the dictionary lesson, But in the real world if I buy a bred heifer it means she is with calf.
In the real world if im buying a hiefer that im told is bred im not expecting a calf if im told shes bred and preg then i know she got a calf. It might be one of those things that depend on where your located on what the meaning is. The only thing that id consider actually with calf is if theyre called preganant then its clear they have a calf at that time.

What im saying is far as the heifer not calving id say theres not much can do unless the person selling is willing to make an agreement. Some people would give some money back

·
Administrator
19,419 Posts
That is always a possibility, but it has no effect on an animal that was sold as 'guaranteed bred' unless gross neglect or mistreatment can be proven. Guaranteed bred means just that.
Guaranteed bred means guaranteed bred at the time the cow/heifer was checked but it still doesn't ensure a live calf.

Everything depends on the breeder and the wording of the agreement. A live calf guarantee would mean that someone is entitled to remediation by way of a rebreed, replacement calf or a replacement bred female but not many cattle breeders will do that because of the number of variables involved.

When you get into the details of a live calf guarantee, things get fairly complicated because those that will provide such a thing are often divided on what 'live' means so you still need clarification. Ultimately, it is either alive long enough to stand and suck but in other cases, it can be no more than drew a breath so even having a live calf guarantee is really nothing but careful wording.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
hFriend bought a few heifers. Seller sold as bred heifers and gave Trimester and predicted due date. All calved on time but one. He fed and treated this heifer as pregnant for 3 mths. Question: After taking to have palpated and confirming no pregnancy, What should the sellers remedy be? A calf? A trade back? He does not want to get rid of the one he bought or trade back. Anyone know whats customarily done in this case?
Unless he had a "live calf" guarantee, I don't think there is much he can do. He might want to reconsider this heifer. If she was bred the same as the others but didn't conceive, or lost her calf, she may have reproductive issues that won't go away and he'll end up dealing with that instead.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts