Relocation thoughts on Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 15, 2004.

1. I read the thread on relocating in New York.

Would like input on Pennsylvania (Lebanon area and other towns), as well as, thoughts on New Jersey.

Thank you.

2. JessicaCat

JessicaCat Well-Known Member

I live in western pa and I love it here. Just trying to find acreage now. I dont know about Lebanon PA but I lived in Jersey for 26 of my 30 years alive and I wouldnt move back. Too many people, too expensive on anything and everything. My mother in law lives in Old Bridge which is about 30 minutes from NYC. She has about a half acres of property and pays $5,000 a year in property taxes. Dont get me wrong, there are nice places in Jersey, but for me the cons outway the pros.

Jessica

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

As Jessica said there are some beautiful spots in NJ but land is dreafully expensive, taxes are outrageous and car insurance is the most expensive the country. Auto inspection is as tough as in CA. Another problem would be finding any like minded people. Can't speak for PA. I'm leaving NJ in about another 2 weeks.

Liz

4. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

] I've lived in NE Pa. all my life(54) the Endless Mt. area,and on nights like this I wonder why I haven't move to somewhere more hospitable to spending alot of time outdoors. I know if I wasn't so far along in having a gray breard I would consider a different climate. As far as SW Pa. to me once ya drop off the mountain it seems it doesnt change till ya get to the ocean. I sure would like to finish up my work tonight in a jacket or sweatshirt instead of all the crap ya gotta put on not to get frostbite... Ahh, with all that said I like da mountains and my grandaughter loves ta pull da ice outa me beard....

5. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've lived in the York - Lancaster county most of my life. Lebanon isn't far from here. There still are some nice areas left in the lower Susquehana valley, but they are going fast. Taxes are also on the increase, The new idiot, I mean Governor :no: just raised the personal income tax and property taxes across the area have for the most part increased. County taxes are on the rise also. It is still cheaper than NJ. If you decide to move into the area, Welcome

6. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i've been through a bit of pennsylvania once. i don't know anything about the economics but it sure is beautiful country. i know it used to be rich farming country. i'd probably do it if i could afford it. then again if i could afford it there's probably equally fine places where i could afford a larger spread. sprawl has already caught up with me and squashed my homesteading lifestyle once (new mexico) so you don't want to choose a place that's gonna get engulfed by suburbia too quickly. just a thought.

7. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

I live about 1 hour north of Lebanon. Its beautiful country, what's left of it. Lebanon county is growing rapidly and land is expensive.

Generally, central PA real estate within a commuting distance of Harrisburg is expensive. There is some nice farmland in Montour, Center &Northumberland counties.

8. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

We are in far southern New Jersey. The bottom 2 southwest counties and inland parts of the southern shore counties, are still farm country with a lot of small towns. The taxes and land are less expensive than north Jersey, but more than a lot of other states. This is very fertile farmland, many vegetable crops are grown down here. Our little county is the least populated of the state, and is quite rural in nature. The biggest problem we have is being part of the same state as the rest of New Jersey. They forget about us except when they want our money. If only we could secede.....

9. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

that old rural-urban political divide has been very glaring in the three western states ive lived in : cali.,oregon, and new mexico. i'm happy to say it's much less evident in my new home state of missouri. at last as far as i've seen so far.

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I grew up in central PA. It's a great place to be from. :)

If you go there make sure you can get employment. It's been a depressed area ever since I can remember except near the cities.