Relocation Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 4sarge, Jan 12, 2005.

1. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Would love to move from 30+ year residence. Nothing wrong with the house but now it is too large for us and too cold for me in Indiana.

I would love to move to a warmer climate, state with lower taxes, more sun, affordable land, good MC roads, trees, rolling hills, liberal building codes and ? Wife would like a smaller house, large barn or pole building and room for goats, Pygmy horses ?. I know that this is asking for a lot, but something close must be out there. Wouldn't farm per se but would grow some of our food. I think that the more land the better, to keep progress and subdivisions from encroaching in the following years.

Please chime in with input of the areas that you homestead in.

Florida is probably out after last years hurricane season, considering TN, AR, KY, AL, LA, MS, MO, or another state that someone provides input on.

Thanks

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

TN would give you what you're looking for.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we love ar. becouse of the low taxes there is a realestate that has prop. around mt. view there is a house on 8 acreas 44 thousand we were going to look at it the next trip to the farm call 870-269-5263 ask for there web site and give a look looks nice payments of 207.00 a month town and country realestate

4. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I am a fellow Hoosier who is now transplanted in Arkansas! :)

There are quite a few places around here selling good size acreages of land, and as long as you are not in city limits, the building codes are very liberal. My husband is a master electrician and can attest to that!

Our taxes are relatively comparable to Indiana's, once you factor in the sales tax down here. But that varies from county to county, city to city. Where I am, it is 8.5%, but across the river it is 9.5%!

Weather is great as well... although this past year had been extremely wet and we did have a bit of snow and ice. The northwest part of the state sees more of the wintry precip being in a higher elevation. Summertimes can get quite hot and humid though, to the unbearable point.

:) Hope that helps!

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we are about 16 miles out of mt. view

6. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Hi there fellow Arkie! :) I am down here in the river valley, between Van Buren and Alma. I absolutely LOVE the Mountain View area, however!

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

propety tax we pay less then 110.00 a year for 80 acreas and a small house

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we are in rushing we can make the move there to full time at the end of the summer the place will be paid for and the house will be done we are doing all the work ourselfs check it our at www.rushingtrail.com sighn the guest book iff you go in

9. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at AR but would like to hear from Al and MS homesteaders too. The weather seems better in AL and MS but I haven't given up on AR.

Thanks again for the replies

10. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Try tn == where I am no building codes, lots of mennonites, rivers close rolling hills -- and some standing up too! No income tax yet -- sales ta tho is as bad as illinois's is. Taxes cheap car tags dirt cheap and the people are pretty friendly.

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We have low property taxes here in north central Alabama but we have to be constantly vigilant about the government, local and state, trying to encroach upon our property rights by trying to put in place restrictions on all kinds of things....so far we've been successful but it is hard and a constant battle....

whereever you decide to locate, get several back issues of their local newspaper and read any governmental articles and watch for phrases like "land use" because they will try to sneak in "zoning" but using the terms like land use or future planning....

Best wishes!

12. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Missouri! Here you can get the most for your money! Affordable homesteads....many, many properties sell reasonable at auctions...especially large parcels. Taxes are relatively low and many counties have building codes with minimum restrictions. Most of our schools are AAA rated as most of our tax $ go to schools. We've got professional football, baseball, soccer, hockey, and NASCAR just next door in KS. Southern MO has mountains and lakes. The weather is good....people are friendly. What more could a family need... :)

13. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

Look at Tennessee. Very low taxes ($100 for 66 acres and a large house). No regulations on what you can build. Lots of free water in the mountain. Lots of people raise mini horses and goats. Gorgeous landscape.

14. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

AND it's been 65 degrees every day in January so far

15. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I like rural Mississippi. But then most of Mississippi is rural, there's less than 2 million people in the State, I think.

Counties have different restrictions but in most counties in the hilly country in the north there arent' any codes for rural land.

Mississippi has very mild winters and the further south the shorter the cool season. People may object to the humidity of the summer, however. Work outside from pre-dawn till 10:00 a.m. and then stay inside the rest of the day or do errands in town from your air-conditioned car and in the air-conditioned buildings.

There is a state income tax but not on retiree income. I think the homestead deduction is 50k+ (probably varies by county). Biggest taxes are school taxes. I pay about $240 per year county school and property taxes on 80 acres - no homestead exemption.