relocating a long way..........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shasta, Jun 10, 2004.

1. shasta

shasta Member

Hi All,

I have a job offer in Jefferson City Mo. and am considering the move from my home here in Jersey to Missouri. I have to admit that I am a little scared at the prospect but it is exciting at the same time. Well, I'm sure a lot of you guys have done the thing I am thinking about and would love to have some good advice. I have visited Missouri and have done some research but can anyone give me first hand advice on the area around Jefferson City?

My family consists of my daughter, three pooches and one mustang. The last move I made was twenty three years ago to the house I am living in now. So my moving experience leaves a lot to be desired. I really need some advice and words of wisdom.

Thanks,

shasta

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

my advice

stay in New Jersey

3. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Hi Shasta,
    I could almost call myself a career mover....we have moved lots and lots with several of those moves being interstate moves. The first thing to do is check out everything you can learn about the area....Jeff. City is a pretty area, right next to the Missouri river, it can be kind of pricey but really not too bad. Call the chamber of commerce and ask them for information, read the local newspaper online www.newstribune.com

You will need to decide if you want to move your things yourself or pay a moving company to do it for you. You will also need to find a place to live....that can be the biggest nightmare if you are trying to do your shopping long distance, but you could call some realtors and give them and idea of what you want and get them to email you info on each place etc.

As soon as you are sure that you are going to move you can start packing up the things that you don't use (holiday stuff, fancy glassware, etc.). Try to plan a timeline for your move so that you can plan what you need to do when ON PAPER. Moving can be a really crazy hectic time so make sure that you write everythign down somewhere that you know you will be able to find the info again when you need it ( I use one of those small spiral notebooks and keep it in my purse).

I could go on and on but if you can be more specific about what it is you need to know I'll be happy to help any way that I can.

Take care
    Jeannie

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have only made one long distance move, though i've moved alot within the same area. that long distance moves turned out to be the beginning of one of the most difficult times in my life, but i don't regret doing it. don't let me scare you...it was more a cumulation of different personal things that all came together than the move itself.

one of the best things i did was subscribe to the local newspaper where i was moving. it came about a week late, but i was able to get a real feel for the community, the issues there, jobs available, housing and stores and stuff. then i used all those papers to pack with!

if you can visit the area, do it. if you can visit the area more than once, do that too.

i would advise renting until you get a feel for the housing market, schools, etc. i'm really glad i did that. a neighborhood might be nice and safe and all that, but just not "you". you really can't tell until you spend some time living there.

if you are leaving all your family and friends behind, plan your first trip back home before you go. i knew when i was going to come back home and that really helped on the days when i was very homesick and lonely. it helped the kids too.

join the newcomers club. most every town has them and they really do help you to meet people, learn about the community and start becoming a part of it. ask the chamber of commerce if they have one.

if you are moving yourself, pack the stuff, rent the truck and pay a mover to pack the stuff in the truck. it cost me $300 to have them load it all (five kids and tons of stuff...i had 2 24' trucks). that was the best money i ever spent. they did it all in about 2 hours and it would have taken me 2 days! my load never shifted and i lost nothing to breakage. if you don't have any help to unload, you might want to pay someone to unload it too.

if you are renting a truck shop around. the first price i got was $2200 per truck. in the end i got them both for $800. rates change daily, so keep checking. also check nearby states. my biggest savings came from renting my trucks out of las vegas rather than anywhere in CA. there was more than enough mileage in the deal to cover picking them up and I saved big time on that one. depending on when you are going...the holidays are the best time to rent. I made my reservation in November for a move the following May. they locked in the lower rates with an $80 deposit. look for coupons too.

i don't know how old your daughter is, but consider that moving so far will have an impact on her. my younger kids (ages 10,8,3 when we moved) took it really well. the older ones (ages 11,13) took it very hard. try to think of ways to make it easier for her depending on her age and needs. i paid some really big phone bills for a while so my kids could talk to their friends. i also got the kids involved in things as soon as possible to help them make some friends before school started, etc. we also did lots of family exploring...parks, museums, etc. they also got to go home a few months after the move which gave them something to look forward too on the bad days.

before i moved, i told myself people are people wherever you go, which is true, but i really discounted the notion of culture shock. there are real, fundamental differences between here and where i came from. that's not a bad thing, but be ready for it. of course i moved from a large city to much smaller one. i also moved from a place with basically no weather to one with lots of it...just everything was different! i had to kind of learn to go with the flow, even when it didn't make any sense to me.

it's been 7 years and people still think i'm "different", but just blame it on my california roots.

Jena

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Does your future employer have any relocation program?

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

We moved three children, a dog, lots of furniture and kids' stuff and some house plants from the eastern shore of Virginia to the K.C.,MO area. First my husband flew out and rented a house (risky, hugh?), then we got rid of as much stuff as we could possibly get rid of (too bad that now all those things are collector's items). We loaded up one car that we towed with the U-Haul, loaded up the U-Haul, loaded up the other vehicle. I drove with the kids in it, followed the U-Haul half-way across this great country. It was a lot of work, but we were young. We had a company move us once----more trouble than it was worth---better when we did it ourselves. I was told after we did that, that we were not supposed to tow a car loaded with stuff (dangerous, they say), so you might need to check into that.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Jefferson City is a nice area.Unless you are just wanting to live close to the city,there is several small towns close by that rent is so much more resonable,unless you go North across the river bottoms,then your getting tied in with the city of Columbia to.

Now I lived over by California,Mo. its not bad drive,but I wouldn't live right in town now because it is mostly Mexicans,and my Spanish isn't that good :haha:

But anyway welcome to Missiouri!!!

big rockpile

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I recently moved 3000 miles to rural WV.
    After A LOT of research I found the cheapest/best way to do it was to buy a cargo container ($1200.00) and get it trucked out here ($2900.00). Moving companies STARTED at 9k and U-haul wanted 3 grand for a 25 foot truck.
    My container is 8x8x40 foot long and will make a great storage/extra building when it's empty.
    (As it is 40 feet was barely big enough for all the crap I had)

J

9. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

DH is from the Passaic area--and the sentiment is leave Jersey for anywhere, it will only improve your life.

10. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

Hi Shasta,
    I'm in the packing phase of a move to MO. (from PA) It's just hubby and I this time (plus 4 dogs and 4 cats) I found our Ozark home online (united country, we however found a different realtor to work as our buyer agent on the purchase). I've been reading the local papers, to get a feel for the area. I've also joined the Ozark homesteader's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ozark-homestead
    I've learned so much from the people on that list. Where to shop, where the farmer's markets are, the auctions, who to buy this and that from. (I've already bought several nubians from a breeder near our soon to be home, she's holding them for me until we get there). Everyone I've chatted with from the area (on the phone or online) has been so nice. (we did all of our house purchase via the internet, fax and overnight mail. Meant lots of phone calls with the realtors, the inspection folks and such...again everybody had bent over backwards to make our long distance house hunt easy--hubby did make it to MO to look it over and take pics a week before closing. Again everyone worked with him on his timeline) I'm counting the days until we leave. I think the Ozarks are one of the loveliest places. We had always talked about someday retiring there. When the chance came to do it now (instead of 20+ years) we jumped at the chance.
    Jena's advice and wisdom on moving was great. I'm being obsessive about writing on all my boxes, what's inside and what room I want them first dumped in, upon arrival. I thought I'd done a decent job of labeling the contents of boxes when we moved here 3 years ago...NOT good enough, I was forever looking for stuff. We moved here in one big swoop, critters in tow. This time we are making a trip to Okla. first and leaving them all at our daughter's. Stopping at the MO. house to build a fenced dog yard and some more fencing for the goat barn BEFORE they move in (It was a nightmare of trying to keep them all from getting out the doors and leash walking each one several times a day., while trying to build a fence after we moved here) We are luckier them most, hubby owns his own tractor trailer (he moves nationwide for Allied) we have all the pads and dolllies and such, so the actual moving and packing is an everyday thing for him. I make sure the dogs all have new updated id tags on for the move (as well as updating the info on their id chips) I think the stress and chaos of our move up here was due mostly to not having learned about the area. I was clueless to where anything was. (there's something comforting in already knowing how to get to the closest hospital, where the vet's office is, even the closest 24 hour wal-mart) Just KNOWING someone (even if it's only online) that lives in the same general area. We are a ways south of Jefferson City (down by West Plains) but I'd venture to guess you'll meet as many helpful people as I have.
    susie

11. humminbird

humminbird Member

Shasta,
    I'm 45 mins. from Jeff City and love to go there to shop. It is a nice area and lots of rural "towns" outlying the area. The school systems are spoken highly of, plenty of medical and two hospitals...also not far from the University Hospital as well as the University of Missouri Campus in Columbia. They have Target, K-mart, and of course the Supercenter as well as a nice mall. Plenty of places to eat too. Would most definitely suggest you check out the news tribune site posted earlier for rentals and the like.

And to Yarrow.... you're right the Ozarks is some of the most beautiful country there is!! ;) We're heading to Branson for the weekend and I can hardly wait. If I ever move again south Mo. is where I'm going!! Welcome to both of you and hope you enjoy your life here as much as us "home borns" do!!

Humminbird

12. shasta

shasta Member

That is a great idea! I think I see a huge yard sale in my future.

shasta

13. shasta

shasta Member

Hi Susie,

There is a lot to do and the best place to start is a the beginning and take it one step at a time. I have looked at the Mountain Grove area and really like iy. My daughter and I went there last year during the fall and it is lovely. Actually there is a job in Springfield that I am looking at now also. My friend has a sister and a brother that live north of Springfield and I intend to call them with a million questions. My daughter is 29 and do not have to worry about the schools.
    Please let me know how the move turns out. You gave a lot of good advice. thanks!

shasta

14. shasta

shasta Member

Hi Jena,

A truck load of advice(no pun intended). I actually printed your reply to me, thanks. I was fortunate enoough to take a trip to Mo and did like it a lot. You are correct about the culture differences though. I could not believe how different Mo is from NJ. The pace is more relaxed in MO. Nj is becoming too expensive to live here and considering that I could have the same income in Mo that I have here can make things easier once the initial move is completed. To be honest, I am searching for a slower pace and some open fields and a place to paint and relax.

Thank you again for your advice.

shasta

15. shasta

shasta Member

Thank you for that advice and the web site for the newspaper!

shasta

16. shasta

shasta Member

I could not stop laughing when I read your reply.................how true it is

shasta

17. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

Get rid of stuff BEFORE you move. Less to pack and perhaps some extra money in your pocket via a garage sale.

If you're using used boxes, check the boxes carefully to make sure they aren't "buggy"--a small egg sack undetected can create a mess!

Label your boxes well enough that you can actually find stuff. Most folks unpack over the course of a couple of weeks, and it's frustrating rummaging through boxes trying to find what you need.

Pack a box labeled "first day" that has all the stuff you need to start out--a frying pan and some eating utensils, can opener, some paper plates, sleeping bags or bedding, some towels, etc.

Keep a list of important numbers on you . . . electric, gas, phone, insurance information, etc.

Get a copy of your daughter's medical records (including immunizations) before you leave town. Do the same for yourself. Make sure you have at least one certified copy of your daughter's birth certificate. If not and she was born in Jersey, it's often easier to get it before you leave rather than after.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!