Religious ceremony (goat butchering)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stacygoats, Dec 27, 2006.

1. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I sold a couple meat goats two days before Christmas to some Mexican folks, which they just loaded up (alive). The same day a Arabic gentleman called looking for 3-4 goats on the 31st and wanted to know if he could kill them on my farm.
    I haven't allowed anyone to kill/butcher goats on my prpoerty, but this guy insisted it was common practice for farmers to allow them to perform the ceremony/butchering @ the farm. I'm not allowing it, but does anyone know what this "ceremony" entails, because I've heard some horror stories in the past. One farmer told me he had a group of 20 show up on his farm amd ended up with a terrible mess and items stolen.

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems to me they can do religious stuff on their own place...facing Meca etc.

3. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I would not let them and I will tell you why...... if something happens to one of them, like they stub a toe or accidentally cut off a finger, they could sue you. It is such a shame that we live in a sue-crazy world and that our justice system allows for ridiculous suits, but that is what it is....

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The *common* religious killing that I am aware of is the simple slitting of the throat without shooting first. Ok, if done right. But I agree, I'd rather they do it elsewhere, I'm the only one who kills goats on our place! I have heard of some bizzare rituals...but I don't think they are that common.

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The ritual slaughter youre referring to is called "halal". Its the Arabic form of "kosher" in which a ceremony is performed during the slaughter, and prayers are said.

In some states its illegal to allow animals sold for meat to be slaughtered anywhere other than an inspected facility.

6. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

The local livestock auction near here closed down and/or moved, so I'm expecting the numbers of calls to increase, but I'm standingfirm on the no killing on my farm. One old farmer friend of mine warned me (because I'm a woman) that it may be difficult dealing with some ethnic groups, but haven't had a problem yet.
    I've got a customer that comes out from the city at Easter and buys all of my young bucks, but he's a butcher in his country and laughs at any reference to religious ceremonies.

7. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

If the customer is Islamic or Muslim I can't remember the name of the event. After Ramadan they celebrate when Abraham was to sacrifice his son and instead sacrificed a ram. They do this with a lamb or a goat, I think it is a personal preference on which type of meat they like to eat or what is available. Their calendar has 11 months so each year it is a month earlier if you want to plan for it. They slit the throat and pray, I think most of them want to do it on your place because they live in town and can't do it where they are. My neighbor is Muslim and they explained it to me, they do theirs at home though because they live in the country. We started raising a few sheep just for them and their friends.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

9. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I wouldn't allow it either.
    Like the other posters have already said.
    There is the possibility of someone getting injured and suing, theft, damage to property, etc.

From what I gathered in the brief conversations I've had regarding butchering in WA State, there is no problem selling LIVE animals on my property for them to be butchered somewhere else. What happens to the animals once they leave my property is out of my control.
    But if they are killed on my property, then I would be in trouble because I am not an inspected, licensed facility.

I don't know if it would make a difference if I sold the animal first and the owner then butchered on my property or what.

I wouldn't want to chance the potential problems associated with it.

10. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

How are goats normally killed during slaughter?

11. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

When I worked in a locker plant we slit the throat. It really doesn't seem too traumatic. The animal will usually stand for a second or 2, lay down, and "go to sleep" No thrashing, panic, etc. The reason we slit was because our usual killing method (shooting with a 22) was unsafe with a goat or a sheep. The bullet would pass right through and bounce off the walls.

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine are shot through the back of the skull, then their throat slit for a good bleedout.

13. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I think it is a matter of accomidation and good service. the more you cater to the customer the more loyal they become, to the point of tolorating a premium price for your goods

14. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

When I went to the ADGA convention in New Mexico, there was a woman there who gave a talk about boar goats. Seems she was high up in the registry or something?She spoke of this very thing - how she would sell her goat kids, and allow the people who bought them to slaughter them on property. She handed them a trash bag and something else (?) and ended up with traffic jams a mile down her road for three days a year. Word gets around. Sold all her meat kids out every year, and sounds like she charged a bit above average price per pound for the privilage of farm slaughter. I can't remember how much. There was no mess left behind.

The ceremony is halal - and no muslim is supposed to eat meat slaughtered any other way. Look into it - it is nothing to be afraid of, and quite a bit better than the way most American meat is slaughtered - mass production style. I'll admit that it would be difficult for me to allow slaughter on my place, although it would be quite a bit less stressful for the animal than travelling first, before slaughter.

Niki

15. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Yes, and this is exactly what will happen. The religious ceremony is a family event (extended) and you'll have 20+ people all over your property and into everything.

We've been approached about butching at our farm and we've declined.

Here's a link to the Halal facility near us. I think that there may be a link showing the actual slaughter. http://www.halalmeats.us/index.cfm

Or it might be here http://www.esmgpa.org/

16. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a farm family that sells birds to a religious group. The priest comes and blesses the birds before slaughter. It sounds like a well run operation and as someone mentioned is probably a lot less stressful for the animals (in this case birds).

The idea that my goats would be loaded into the truck and hauled away to a plant where they were thrown into strange surroundings with a bunch of other animals. Then dragged to the slaughter room by a stranger seems less humane than a quiet death on the farm. I'm probably making this too anthropomorphic.

17. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

haveing been pressent for Halal butchering its not that big of a deal, they will say a quick prayer, point the goat in the direction of Meca and slit the throught, the whole family gets involved and does it all them self, all we did was provide the location and some big wooden spools with butcher paper on them for them to work on,

some will pay a premium for a solid black goat on certain holidays but its not nessissary and most want the generally accepted Boer look and size so they get the most bang for their buck so to speak.

18. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Like many have already said, halal slaughter is the Islamic slaughter method. I've had animals butchered that way, in my opinion it's way better than how the meat at the supermarket was obtained. They say a prayer and slit the throat, just like KSALguy said. If a slaughter facility does the killing, there is a permit involved, if I remember right.
    Here, we had a halal salughter place that I took my animals to. They were all very pleasant people to deal with, haven't had any problems with being a woman. They were closed for a while, but I went by there the other day and they looked open. I really hope they are open, they're the only place I can find that will slaughter my rabbits!
    In any case, I wouldn't allow anyone on my place to slaughter an animal. One, I'm in the 'brubs, and two, I don't want a lawsuit. People come to my place to look at animals and/or to pick them up and take them home. That's about it. So far, so good.
    ~Carrie C.