Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How do you make a wrong turn and end up in Mexico?

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
How do you make a wrong turn and end up in Mexico?
Not as hard as you might think.
That's the short version of the story.
Like the time I first sought out my present homestead, 35 years ago.
I was 16, driving with my mom, VERY rural area, badly marked roads and.......I thought I'd take a short cut.:facepalm:
It was only after seeing way too many Tennessee license plates, that I realized I had strayed out of North Carolina a little bit.
:sing:

What actually happened to the soldier is common enough to have happened to you and me, in my case just last month at the airport.
Short version?
One way streets, poorly marked, no turn offs or exits, and guarded gates.

When he realized he was on the one way "exit ramp" into Mexico, there was no legal way to make a U-turn, so he proceeded to the guard gate at the border and asked if he could make his U-turn right there, por favor.
:umno: Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

An honest mistake, made by a kid. Everything was out in the open, he tried to do the right thing, but authorities wanted to make an example out of the ****** at a time of high tensions at the border.

From the American Spectator............

The Tahmooressi story sounds more like a schlocky Hollywood script than a real-life tale. Its protagonist is a decorated Marine veteran of two tours of duty in Afghanistan, honorably discharged in 2012 and diagnosed with a severe case of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); he was moving to the San Diego area specifically for treatment of his PTSD. And Tahmooressi’s ordeal is mind-bogglingly unjust; he mistakenly crossed the border from San Ysidro, California, into Mexico because he missed an interstate exit that would have taken him to dinner with friends. Instead, the twenty-five-year old war hero wound up at a Mexican border station driving a pickup truck full of his possessions, which included two rifles and a pistol, plus ammunition.

Tahmooressi told the Mexican border guards he had the weapons in his truck and that he was not intending to enter Mexico but rather wished to turn around. He was detained for eight hours without counsel (a violation of his rights), the U.S. State Department was not notified of his detention and he was made to sign a document in Spanish, which he does not speak, confessing to the crime.

And an even better version, with pictures and everything.......

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...arine-entered-mexico-by-mistake-difficult-to/

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I know about Mexico I for one would made a U turn even if facing on coming traffic beats going into Mexico .:thumb:

Yep some states have of the the poorest road signs ever dreamed of ,almost as if they are trying to make you get lost :hammer:
I did that in El Paso. Pulled off the shoulder and put it in reverse until I got to the exit.

Reactions: Sawmill Jim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts