Rejuvinating old apple trees.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MelissaW, Sep 7, 2004.

1. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We have three very old apple trees on our property (probably 50+ years). They didn't produce well, an any apples that grew were tiny and pitted. A few years ago, my husband pruned them really well. Now they are producing lots of apples, but they are still small and ugly. Is there anything else we can do to get good apples? I think they are McIntosh, but can't be sure. Thanks for your help!

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

It's a royal pain but most fruit trees need thinning in order to produce sizeable fruit; the years Mother Nature does mine, my apricots are definitely larger. I believe there are sprays which can be applied after blossom set.

katy

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Take a long bamboo pole and knock lots of the small apples off all over the tree when they first set. Try to really hit the top of the tree as well. Try to hit the limb next to the apples instead of the fruit, unless you are taking out the whole clump. It would be a good idea to invest in some new trees. The dwarfs are so much easier to care for and you will have apples from them in two or three years.

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

An old man once told me to scrape apple tree with a piece of iron, like an old lawn mower blade. This takes off the loose bark and lets the tree do better.

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! So, I should knock off some of the apples first thing in the summer? How do I keep them from being so misshapen and ugly? We put in four nice semi-dwarf trees this year, but they won't produce for awhile. The old tree that is doing the best is actually the one with damage from a beaver, so maybe there is something to that bark scraping idea!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter