Rejoice with me! Three new goats!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My dh and I went to NH to look at 2 Nigerian Dwarf doelings...turns out one was an Alpine/Nigerian cross---what an absolute sweet, sweet little goatling! I fell right in love with her---tiny but with really pretty markings and an Alpine shaped face. VERY sweet, calm personality. When the lady bought her mother, she was told she was bred to a Nigerian---she dropped three cross kids...um, about the mother...very pretty, gold Nigerian...my dh totally shocked me and suggested buying her! She was the same price as the kids, and he thought, oooo 3 goats for the price of one! This was because she had been bred earlier this week to an extremely handsome gold Nigerian buck that was on the premises. In fact, she still smells of buck! :rolleyes: All the way home, over an hour. My van has certainly been broken in. In spite of all the newspapers, the three of them peed and pooped all the way home! Some nanny berries even landed in the cup holder! I had to change my clothes because they smelled of buck. My dd took her bath and came out with the ends of her hair wet, but when she cuddled up with me on the couch, the top of her head smelled of buck! I wanted to send her right back in to wash her hair but she was too sleepy. First thing this morning, though!
    The lady said if she isn't pg we can bring her back when she goes into heat again, but claims she has never had to rebreed from this particular buck.
    The third one is a little gold Nigerian Dwarf doeling with a BIIIIIG bleat. I can hear her now crying for her bottle. (The two little ones sound like little baby dolls.) My kids fell in love with this one. She is so tiny, cute and perfect!
    My dd will have to milk these girls, she has tiny hands! :)
    I am sooo excited! My herd has doubled! The gold mother doe got a little testy with my 5 month old Alpines and Nubian. Some head butting, and she bit the ear of the black Alpine, which I didn't like. Fortunately, my Nubian has her intimidated, so she backed off the others. My three are soooo friendly and calm (for goats, that is) and I think they will all work it out. The Nubian is bigger than the others, very intelligent too. I think she may well end up being the "Herd Queen." I have the two tiny babies in the kidding stall. When would be a good time to let them "run" with the bigger girls? I don't want them to get hurt!
    Well, I am going on and on like an indulgent mother, so I am probably getting boring now...gotta run feed the babies their bottles!
    Blessings, Jill!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Congratulations on your new additions! Sounds like you're going the opposite way to me :) - I started with two Nigerians, and then got two doelings, Alpine and Nubian cross, then on Sunday we came home with a Saanen doe who is actually milking. When my Nigerian kidded, I kept them all in for about two weeks, but now they're out every day with the rest of the gang and they're fine. Funny thing is, it's the other Nigerian who doesn't like the babies, everybody else is very tolerant of them. I even saw my Nubian butting heads very gently with the little buckling! :angel:

How old are your babies? I think they sound like cartoon mice when they're tiny! Try letting them out with the rest of the herd a little bit at a time, when you're there to keep an eye on things, that way you can separate them if anyone is getting nasty!

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

4. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I am dying to get a little Nigerian!!! You are so blessed enjoy them all sounds like alot of fun!!! :goodjob:

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The Alpine-Nigerian Cross is 5 weeks old, and I think the little Nigerian is about 3 weeks old. I am really happy about the cross. She is sooo pretty, like a little chunky fawn, so we named her Fawn. I am planning on breeding Nigerian crosses anyway to increase the butter fat of the milk I will be using for cheese.
    I just peeked through the window and they are curled up together sleeping. So sweet! When I went out to give them their bottles this morning, they were in the main barn area with the big goats! Either my dd didin't close the gate latch properly last night, or one of the bigger ones got it open. They all seemed fine, in fact, my three original goats seem really interested in the babies, and delighted in them. The one who is the mother of one of them is the one who doesn't seem to like them! She does seem to be gentle and friendly to me...I think she is just disoriented and unhappy because she was recently bought, about 6 months ago, by the lady I bought her from, and now she has moved again. Since she is about 3 or 4 years old, I think she is feeling stressed and unhappy. My friendly goats will win her over. She already knows that I am the source of treats!
    The kids (human kids) had the babies out in the yard running and playing. The little Alpine cross is FAST! The little Nigerian jumped HIGH, halfway to the window when I peeked in earlier (before they were napping).
    The mama Nigerian (who is the Alpine cross' dam) is getting along better with the others. She has a funny way of head butting. She acts like she is just standing there minding her own business, and then sneaks her head sideways real quick and then looks the other way, whistling innocently. (Figuratively speaking, I mean she just looks innocent!) She was doing it to her tiny baby in our car, and when we said, "Hey! Don't do that!" she got a real stubborn, resentful look on her face and her back muscles got all stiff, and she kept sneaking in those little sideways head butts. I don't think she is really vicious though. Looks like someone bit HER ear during the night. She acts chastised, and as I said, they are getting along better.
    The weather is nasty right now, and we have some areas along the bottom of the fence big enough for the babies to sneak out if they found them, so until that is taken care of, I will keep them in the kidding stall unless we are playing with them in the yard.
    Blessings, Jill!