Registration frustration

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy'sKID, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

It is in my understanding that if you own non-registered goats and know the breeding 3 generations back you can have them/it 'American' Registered? Does anyone know where I can find more info on this? What kind of proof (if any?) do you have to offer to show that the breeding has been as you say it is? Do these goats have to be tattooed? And do you have to currently own all three generations? Do you HAVE to have a registered 'Herd' or is it possible to registered individual goats only? Where would I find, like, the paper work you'd fill out? (then I'd know what info I need ) :rolleyes:

As you see, I'm quite at a loss when it comes to registries. :shrug:

I would only be interested in registering our purebred goats, and they have parents - great grand parents that are registered through ADGA. I do know their names and their registered herds / breeders names, but not tattoo numbers, or anything else? Would this be enough info to be able to register them? Otherwise, I'd just do the last 3-generation registry?

Ugh, It's all so overwhelming. :Bawling:

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

The breeder (the person who bred the goat) is responsible for registering the goat. The goat carries the herdname of the person who owned the doe at the time of breeding. You also need service memos for the bucks. Your best bet is to actually call the ADGA office and talk to one of the clerks there. If you are an ADGA member you can do a lot of this online. I bought a doe that was "registration pending" and what a mess. The owner took two years to register the goat, in the meantime, I went ahead and registered her as a grade (I owned the buck), registered her kids, then had to go back and update ALL the registrations from grade to purebred when the owner finally registered her and I completed a transfer. I learned a lesson - when I buy a goat, I get the signed off papers right then.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you can't come up with the registered names, and numbers of the goats, you can't register their kids. If you didn't own or have bills of sales of the grandparents that were registered, the dams and sire, you can't register the kids. There has to be a clear ownership from the registered owners to you.

The only thing you can do is to take photos and send pictures to someone else in good standing in ADGA, or have another member out, to look at your goats and have them recorded as recorded grade. Then breed them to a purebred buck...you can't use the buck you have unless he is a ADGA registered buck.

This is where in goats saying your goats are purebred without paperwork in hand is simply unethical. Selling kids out of purebred stock, isn't true unless the paperwork is in hand.

If you have any old paperwork at all, on the original bucks and does I can help you register it all...it does cost alot because your have to keep registering in generations, sending it in, waiting for the new numbers of the kids to come in, then sending it in again, plus paying late fees for the animals being over a certain age, but it can be done.

A gal purchased 2 bucklings and 3 doelings from me morethan 10 years ago. She had all the breedings and dates and kidding dates written down. We were able over the course of a month send in all the paperwork until finally her kids from last year were in her name and registered. But we first had to put into her name the 5 kid she bought from me so long ago, 3 of which were dead :) If you have anything at all email me. Vicki

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Ha, Vicki, will you do that for me? I don't have any ADGA members close by. I have a 6 yr old doe, looks purebred, that I keep meaning to NOA grade register, but every year she has bucklings (EVERY YEAR, TWIN BUCKLINGS), and I keep thinking, "yeah, as soon as she has a doe" - who knows, this may be her year. She's my daughter's 4H showmanship goat, so it's not like I'm all excited to show her, but I'd like to grade her kids up (if she ever had any). I could send you pics.