registering a buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by furrflys, May 10, 2005.

1. furrflys

furrflys Member

i have a tattooed boer with a very good pedigree. the problem is i bought him at an auction and traced the breeder down and called to confirm that this was one of his kids. can the breeder keep me from getting the pedigree and registering this kid? after he realized that this was his kid he seemed reluctant to give me info on parentage, im assuming because i bought this kid for waaaaay cheaper than he would have sold the kid had it not been marked as sickly and a finacial risk and sold at auction to minimize profit loss. i told him what i intended for the goat if it recovered and he hesitantly threw out some names of goats that are well known and enobled. i would like to use this buck under that pedigree. this a problem or do i just register like normal?

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

The breeder SHOULD have marked out the tattoos and why would you want to register and BREED a goat that is listed as sickly and a financial loss? That goat is a cull and should not be bred under a pedigree. Sounds to me like you think you can make a quick dollar by breeding him. You didn't get a bargain on a quality goat... you got what you paid for a cheap sick goat.

PLEASE don't use this buck for breeding under pedigree and registering the offspring. You will be perpetuating traits that are not good.

Reputable breeders don't buy bargains at livestock auctions ( notice I said livestock auctions and not production sales) and try to turn them over for a profit.

If the breeder is smart he will notify whatever association the goat is registered with and have them remove that registration. Besides.. the breeder needs to sign the registration in order for you to transfer it to your name. Thank God there are some safeguards in place to avoid someone like you doing what you are planning.

3. furrflys

furrflys Member

this goat will be "used" for nothing more than perhaps bb,que should he should he turn out less than correct in any way, dont get me wrong. i figure heck spend the money, go to the vet, get his opinion on whether he thinks this animal will be compromised in the long run. he seemed to think it was not a bad idea to go ahead and treat the coccidia advising that it should pose no long term problems. the buck will see the vet periodically before we decide to uses him. if he's anything less than normal then he's out of options. the breeder chose not to treat him as he he told me, he didnt want to spend the time and money on a kid when he had 10 more kids with no problems. there are enough crap meat goats out there i dont plan on adding more trust me lol. sorry i did not make myself clearer. thanks marilyn

4. furrflys

furrflys Member

i'd be sunk before i ever saw a dime of profit, somehow i cant see this "quick buck idea".... i do however respect you views on this... highly, dont get me wrong you make a wise point.

5. Ken in Maine

Guess I was confused when you were asking about registering this buck. The only reason someone would want him registered is to breed him and sell the offspring. A goat used for bb que doesn't need any papers. As far as the coccidia I've never seen a goat recover fully if they had a serious case. The coccidia destroys their ability to utilize nutrients so they eat and eat and eat but never gain weight or muscle. Sounds like you'll spend more in vet costs than if you'd have bought a good goat to begin with. Weak... sickly animals bring out the desire to "make it all better"... but in the long run they need to be sent to slaughter if you are in the business of making money you will spend far more than he's worth.

No offense to Vets. but often times they will treat until the animal's dead or you can't afford the bill any longer!

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

This is exactly the reason most breeders will tattoo over their original tattoo when taking an animal to the auction. If I send something to the sale barn, there's a reason for it, and I sure don't want it known as my breeding!

I know one gal who will give papers if they are tracked back to her -- but they cost you $100. ;-)

So in short -- yes, he can keep you from getting the papers. That is his choice. I sure wouldn't expect him to do it for free.

Tracy

7. furrflys

furrflys Member

thanks for the input. i appreciate the information and advice. give's me something to chew on i suppose. all else fails he could go back to market. thanks again

8. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

GIVE THE LITTLE GUY A CHANCE TO PROVE WHETHER HE IS GOING TO MAKE IT OR NOT, DON'T JUST WRITE HIM OFF. i HAD A VERY NICE NUBIAN BUCK WITH STRONG BLOODLINES. AT 2 MOS HE GOT REALLY SICK WITH COCC,LUNG INFECTION AND WORMS ALL AT THE SAME TIME. VET SAID HE WOULD NEVER GET WELL OR BETTER AND WOULD BE STERILE BECAUSE OF THE HIGH FEVER.WE WERE GOING TO WETHER HIM AND SELL HIM AS A PET. GUESS WHAT, HE GOT BETTER,OUT GREW ALL THE OTHERS IN HIS AGE CLASS! WE SOLD HIM WITHOUT PAPERS AND A CERTIFICATION FROM THE VET THAT HE WAS VIRRIL(?) AND AT HALF THE PRICE. THE LADY WAS TOLD EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM AND STILL WANTED HIM. I FIGURE IF HE COULD MAKE IT THROUGH ALL THAT, HE WOULD BE VERY STRONG AND PASS IT ALONG TO HIS OFFSPRING. SHE ONLY HAD 3 DOES SHE WANTED TO BE ABLE TO BREED FOR MILK, SO HE GOT A GOOD HOME WITH 2 LITTLE BOYS THAT FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM. SO DON'T JUST ASSUME IF THEY ARE SICK THEY WONT MAKE IT.

JR05

9. Ken in Maine

A sick goat is an unprofitable goat. If you are a hobby farmer where money doesn't matter then you can have the luxury of nursing sickly kids and pertetuating cull factors.... but if every dollar counts and you are SERIOUS about your breeding and profitability then a sick goat is a liability that needs to be disposed of.