Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 21 year old registered paint horse. She does not show paint, she is just looks like a bay mare. She belonged to my late husband and I am not a horse person. I'm afraid of them and I don't ride at all. Can any of you tell me what she might be worth? I'm think of selling her or bartering for work done on the farm. She is a very beautiful horse and is broke well. She was my husband's choice when he had to go look for a missing cow or calf.

Banned
Do you have friends who have horses in your area that you could ask this question?

Registered
Unfortunately her age will limit her from doing hard ranch work but could bring several more years of enjoyment to someone else. advertising on CL or any other media is only going to bring out the folks that want it for free. I would start with your local FFA chapter and see if any have a horse judging team if they do you will find some resources and referrals there because alot will be riders also. If that is not an option look up some local barrel racers or horse show events the Equine community is pretty close nit and someone will help find her a good home.

Banned
Unfortunately her age will limit her from doing hard ranch work but could bring several more years of enjoyment to someone else. advertising on CL or any other media is only going to bring out the folks that want it for free. I would start with your local FFA chapter and see if any have a horse judging team if they do you will find some resources and referrals there because alot will be riders also. If that is not an option look up some local barrel racers or horse show events the Equine community is pretty close nit and someone will help find her a good home.
You think a 21 year old mare can't do ranch work? Her age isn't a problem, the only problem would be if she an underlying soundness/health issue. There are many, many horses working into their 30s now.

Administrator
I have a 21 year old registered paint horse. She does not show paint, she is just looks like a bay mare. She belonged to my late husband and I am not a horse person. I'm afraid of them and I don't ride at all. Can any of you tell me what she might be worth? I'm think of selling her or bartering for work done on the farm. She is a very beautiful horse and is broke well. She was my husband's choice when he had to go look for a missing cow or calf.
A 21 year old horse with a bit of ranch experience is an absolute goldmine for someone looking for a good kid's horse. We usually retire ours to kids before that age because ranch work and our climate is hard on horses and it's a system that's worked well for generations.

You may want to contact some of your husband's friends to see if they can advise you on the value of the horse and perhaps know of someone looking for a good solid horse with a few miles on her.

Premium Member
What a gem! And her age will absolutely not limit her to doing less, unless she is not sound. I have several friends who ride their over 25 year old horses daily. One lady does those 50 and 100 mile trail rides on her 28 year old mare. I just retired my 22year old dressage horse but only because she has gone blind in one eye and was getting nervous going past things on her left around the arena.

I would contact your local EQUINE vet clinics and ask if they might know anyone who could appraise her value or if they might know someone interested in a nice old gal with lots of riding under her belt. She could be a wonderful older child or young adult starter horse..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts