Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I am on a road trip, I look for 'mom and pop' restaurants......and look for regional 'favorites' on the menu.

For the years that I lived in New England, there were 2 things that I could never find out there. One was swiss cheese like they make in Holmes County (Amish country), and the other was Troyer's Trail Bologna.

Are there any local favorites in your area??

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
LOVED the Spanish Hot dogs at the A&W in Miami county, IN

Mon

·
Registered
726 Posts
I LOVE good Mexican food. Hard to find where I am, but sure like it when I find it.

Buffalo around here. I don't eat it much, but its on the menu many places, fro burgers or other things. Good stuff, but pricey at times.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
Trenton or Taylor ham. Jerseyans relocated all over the country routinely have it shipped to them. Can't even get it over the NY border.

Reactions: ldc

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My local place to go to is the sale barn. They serve breakfast and lunch only, Great food and there is always a bunch of us who sit a large table and get to solve a lot of the worlds problems. By the time you leave a new group has slipped in and out of the seats as they open.

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Went to Savannah GA and had a Low Country Boil.
Best thing I have eaten in a year, maybe 10 years.
Also had shrimp and grits...DELICIOUS....omg, I have a southern pallet

Around here, pork tenderloin sandwich is the big ta da.......after 40+ years here, jokes over for me.....but dyed in the wool Hoosiers live and die by the pork tenderloin sammy.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Boiled peanuts come to mind, but in our family, "parched" peanuts were favored. On rainy days when Dad didn't work, we'd often enter the house upon returning from school to the smell of roasted peanuts. It was wonderful. We rarely make/use "stuffing" down here, preferring chicken/turkey dressing instead. If you ever try well made (moist and meaty) dressing, you'll stuff the stuffing.;)

RC's and moon pies aren't bad for a sweet treat. Salted/roasted peanuts in your Coke is a great meal to go ... works well with Dr. Pepper too.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Spiedies...which are chunks of chicken, beef or lamb marinated in a spiedie sauce, then cooked on a grill and stuffed on a folded piece of bread.

Don't know if these are regional or not, but were not evident where I was brought up: chicken and biscuits, and pulled pork on a bun.

I love concord grape pie which ends up tasting less like concord grapes and more like some kind of tropical fruit pie. Best made with seedless concords or else you'll spend 2 hours taking the seeds out for enough to make a pie. It's made similar to blueberry pie. Both are better with a LARGE dollop of whipped cream.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1 - I am in Texas where we will fry anything and put cream gravy on it - I highly recommend it.

2 - If you are ever through central Texas you should keep your eyes peeled for a yellow sign that says "chicken express." Pull in immediately and order a large sweet tea. You might hear locals calling it "chicken e tea" which often gets run together into "chickeney tea" but I promise it is not chicken flavored and does not contain any chicken parts unless there was some horrible accident in the kitchen.

3 - If you like seasoning blends there is also Jess Hall's Serendipity, which could only be bought at one store for a long time, but you can now buy it online. I was so glad for that because I was tired of mailing it all over the country to friends and family. They should have paid me commission! I have had lots of different seasoning blends in my life but that one is our favorite and it goes on nearly everything.

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
Northern Ohio: Lake Erie Perch dinners, Skyline Chili( Cincinnati), Paczki (Polish-fruit/cheeze filled donuts for Lent), Clam Bakes in the Fall(maybe not regional, but very popular*) Slyman's Corned Beef Sandwiches (so big-You can't eat the whole thing!)

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Here its Pittsburg Hotlinks and jalapeno wheels.

The hotlinks are fabulous and they ship them everywhere. Probably terrible for cholesterol and heart health, not to mention waistline. They make their own sauce that is so hot even the locals mix it with ketchup at their restaurant.

The jalapeno wheels are simply fresh peppers sliced into coin shaped pieces, dipped in batter and deep fried. Yummy with ranch dressing.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I keep hearing about pepperoni rolls where I'm at now.. I've not seen one of these elusive things yet though...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
We are known for salmon, especially smoked salmon. It's quite the local competition for best smoked salmon. The "Best" don't share their recipes.
Chowders are a stiff competition too.

Raspberry scones.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Real Mexican food. Not Tex-mex (rofl). You have to look for little hole in the wall restaurants. Honest to goodness tortillas de mano (handmade tortillas). Fresh salsa with cilantro with freshly made chips. Tamales in corn husks. Huevos rancheros served all day. Sauces that were created...not opened. Homemade flan!

A REAL Mexican coca cola. Not the ones that they make in Mexico for the US market. I just happen to have a case or two that I brought back with me from my last trip. I use a bottle opener on an icy cold glass bottle of coke most afternoons. Ahhhhh!

For chain restaurants.....love Churches chicken!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
There's people around here who go nuts for pinto beans over corn bread, topped with diced onions. Not one of my favorites, but that's because we ate way too much of 'em during hard times. Although I do like 'em every so often. Gotta have the onions or they're just missing something though. BBQ is popular too. The adjoining states have rivalries about the right (only) way to make BBQ. I like 'em all.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
There's people around here who go nuts for pinto beans over corn bread, topped with diced onions. QUOTE]

Loved that growing up too, but I would use green onions for the topping. We liked green onions dipped in salt as a snack. Guess we needed the salt from working outside in the garden/pasture/hayfield.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yum, and for dessert you put molasses and/or honey on your cornbread before putting the beans on. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts