Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally was able to purchase excalibur dehydrator. Needless to say, I've been experimenting with just about everything that I have. Sooo...
I was able to purchase large amount of store canned tomatoes (28 oz for 0.88 ...very good price in my area.) I've successfully turned 3 cans into tomato powder that I'm using for my 'meal in a jar' recipes.
Ok I also have purchased several tomato with chiles mix. Has anyone dehydrated & powdered this type of tomato mix? Success or disappointment? I thought I would powder these & use in taco mix, etc.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Jackie clay at backwoods home has a great tomato soup recipe using tomato powder. If I have leftover tomato with garlic or other store bought cans of diced tomatoes, I just throw that in the dehydrator and use that along with the other powder for a bit more flavor. Or just mix it with enough water for tomato paste.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Joni, thanks for the reference to the Jackie Clay recipe. I have a ton of dried tomatoes that I need to use and I love tomato soup.

Backyardcreek, we bought our Excalibur in the early 80's and it's still going strong. Have fun with it.

T

·
0 Posts
Finally was able to purchase excalibur dehydrator. Needless to say, I've been experimenting with just about everything that I have. Sooo...

I was able to purchase large amount of store canned tomatoes (28 oz for 0.88 ...very good price in my area.) I've successfully turned 3 cans into tomato powder that I'm using for my 'meal in a jar' recipes.

Ok I also have purchased several tomato with chiles mix. Has anyone dehydrated & powdered this type of tomato mix? Success or disappointment? I thought I would powder these & use in taco mix, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, what a great idea!

I hadn't thought about drying them and powdering them... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts