? Regarding Feeding Hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Fla Gal, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Mitch and I have been looking for straight Timothy hay in the area and he found it at one feed store for $31 a bale, not a typo, $31 a bale... Ack!!!!

We have some costal on hand, we can get that for $5.45 a bale. We give treats of carrots, romaine lettuce, collards greens, pieces of banana and whatever other greens we think they would like. What do we need to feed in addition to the coastal hay to keep the the nutritional levels up? Hike up the amount of pellets we feed? Ideas, suggestions?

2. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

$31 a bale!!! :eek: It wouldn't be too bad if it was one of the big round bales but not for a regular square bale. I paid $4.50 for my bale of feed hay. I think others are paying even less. I'm sure it's not pure Timothy hay but the rabbits really like it. They will even push through the bedding straw and find something to eat.

:cowboy:

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

But did you slip and type $31 a bale?!

a 900 lb 5' round bale of grass hay (timothy or otherwise) should run around $30-$50 depending on where you live. Grass hay small square bales here (WI) go $2.00-$3.00 depending...

R

4. Jotun

Jotun Well-Known Member

I agree with Red Devil, I would pay $31 for 900-1000 pounds of good horse hay. Hay this year in my area is avaraging around $4 a bail for good horse hay, usually fiscue with orchard and timothy mixed in. I get mine for $2.50 but it's not as good and I have to supplement alfalfa cubes for the horses. This makes up for what I'm saveing in hay. It's perfect for the goats and rabbits though. We also feed rabbits banana as well as pineapple to prevent wool block as we have angoras. Also apples, greens, carrots and really good feed. I don't know what you raise rabbits for but if they look healthy I wouldn't really stress. One time I kept meat rabbits out in a chicken tractor all summer. I moved the tractor every day and gave water. That's all and they did fine. I had a very interesting patern of grass in my yard all in varying stages of growth

5. SelfSufficientO

SelfSufficientO becky3086

When my father raised rabbits he had us children pick 4 bucket(about a 3 lb bucket) a day for about 20 rabbits, he could not get my mother to eat them and could not butcher them as fast as they came. His results were the meat wasn't worth the effort.
    Hay here is about $4 a bale and the rabbits supposedly need it(though we just picked grass for them when we were kids(no problems like they state in all the books).

6. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

We are lucky here, we live on a farm with the Cattle, Sheep and Horses so pretty much the hay is available all the time.

Your best bet would be to go straight to a farm and buy it from them. Its only a couple bales and I'm pretty sure they would have no problem selling it to you.

Melissa

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Melisa ,,
    Great minds ,,,, I went Tuesday to a local dairy farm and asked if they had hay for sale ,, got 2 bales of fescue orchard mix $3 each ,,

the fryers just went to munchin ,, but I believe I will go back and buy some of the rye straw she had ,,

my rabbits love munchin on the wheat straw I put in their cages ,,

they all have a ball digging thru looking for seeds ,,

How are your rabbits doing ?? any babies yet ,, ?? or have you deliberately rebred her this time ,, :p

8. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Farmers are Pretty Good, Selling hay or straw by the bale isn't to bad, we don't even notice one little bale. lol.

I'm glad you found some hay at a reasonable price, out here in Canada it is hard to find anything at a reasonable price last year the hay season was horrible. We have had to buy all kinds of large round and sqaure bales. 100 bales, a month ago. Gets Costly.

Melissa

Tammy- You have Mail ;)