Refrigerator reminder --- clean those coils!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 28, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I make a point of pulling out the refrigerator and cleaning out the compressor, etc. at least once or twice a year.

This year, however, I apparently forgot thanks to a house fire and other seemingly more important things which occupied my time.

So I got home yesterday only to discover that, although the freezer was working fine, the refrigerator component had stopped cooling.

:waa: :waa:

So i pulled out the refrigerator from the wall, only to discover I'd somehow forgotten to clean out all the dust, dog hair :rolleyes: and whatnot.

So i cleaned it thoroughly, vacuuming and whatnot.

And I'm pleased to report it's now working again. :yeeha: :yeeha:

So this is just a reminder to everyone to clean out the back of the refrigerator, getting all the dust and whatnot out from the coils and everything else --- and do it now, before you forget!! :yeeha:

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My ex didn't design the kitchen big enough to open the fridge without almost sitting on the stove, so after he left, my neighbor cut a fridge-sized hole in the wall and shoved the fridge partially into the pantry behind that wall. I can (and should but haven't much yet) clean the coils from the pantry now.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Uhmm, most of us don't have big-enough dog-hair-generators to need to worry about this on an annual basis. Just what size dogs DO you have anyway?

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a lab-ridgeback, who kind of sheds but not too bad --- and a German Shepherd girl who's a simply lovely girl, but sheds enough to make one or two carbon copies of herself every day.

:rolleyes:

I do a lot of vacuuming, needless to say. :rolleyes:

5. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

The coils on my refrigerator are under the unit. You have to lay flat on the floor, flashlight in one hand, long noozle on vac in the other, trying not to hit any electrical thingies, only to read later in the owners broucher "It is not necessary to clean the coils"
    Yes If I did not have a dog my house would be clean and smell nice all the time. But who would warm my feet at night???

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Someone came out and put in a line to the fridges icemaker for filtered water, cleaning out from under the fridge while he was there. That should do for the next decade or so.

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a side by side burn the compressor out right after the warrenty went out. I was told the lint and dust that collects on it was one of the reasons. I now try to clean the coil ever 6 months. My house isn't that dirty, but there is something about a refrigerator that sucks that stuff out of the air and it just sticks on the coil.

I have a dog but it is only in one room of my house and never around the fridge.I have only had her for a year and a half. Didn't have an inside dog when the s/s went out.

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

My wifes boss ask me to hall off an old window air conditioner for them a couple of months ago.After putting it in my truck driving back home.I decided to look at to see if just maybe it was as dirty inside as out.Yep just washed it out real good with a hose and it cooled like new again.She didn't want it back since she had already bought a new so i have a nice and cool shop to work in now. :D
    So anyone running window units or even out side units they also need there coils washed out every so often or they to will stop cooling.
    And yes your outside unit will be very dirty even though its drawing its air threw a filter that is changed regularly. ;)

Dang now i gotta go pull out my fidge and clean it.Im sure its full of Boston terrior hair.Sheading little bugger!