refrigerator just quit-need help quick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Apr 9, 2005.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

Help me my refrigerator just quit-Can I do anything to fix it or just try to get a new one-it is a side by side that I brought used for 3 hundred dollars-I noticed today that it was too warm so I turned It on coldest and it still is not cooling and the frezzer on it -i put it on coldest too but it is still getting warmmer-but I can hear it running it just is nt cooling--Thank you so much for some advice-Nancy

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Check the coils first. We live in an ultra dusty area that has made ours run warm from time to time. I put the shop-vac hose on the blow side and blast them, then go back to the suction side. Works like a dream every time.

3. TrueAmerican

TrueAmerican New Member

My only suggestion right now is don't open it. You need to keep it closed to preserve what little cold is left. Our first reaction is to keep opening it to check on it, don't.

And if you have a big chunk of ice (or many) put that in there.

4. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband's aunt was allergic to freeon (sp?), so they never plugged their fridge in, just used it like an old fashioned ice box. They bought a block of ice from the corner gas station whenever they needed it.

I know that doesn't help your freezer, but the ice can tide you over until you get it repaired.

Hope that is soon!

If you don't want to keep buying ice, maybe you could get a neighbor or friend to freeze milk cartons for you.

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

You can put as much as you can in coolers, with the ice. You can cook the frozen food, so it won't require freezing. Re-freeze meats, vegies for soup and so on later.

Ours is a freezer on top, and it's defrost isn't working. This causes the system to not cool. Old fashioned defrosting with hot water gets it going again. Yours is a side by side, so it might not be possible to freeze up like that.

Good Luck

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

7. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

It sounds like it has power, so next check the coils underneath to see if they are clean. There is a fan by the coils under the icebox. It should be running when the compressor is. If it is not, it will not remove the heat from the freon, therefore causing the icebox to be hot. If all that is working, next you need to check to see if the fan is running inside of the icebox. If it is running, then maybe the inside coils are froze up, causing the fan not being able to circulate the air around the coils to cool the icebox. The reason the coils freeze up is due to either a faulty defrost timer, which is usually the problem, or a bad defrost heater located in the inside coils used to defrost the ice when the defrost timer calls for the defrost cycle. If you turn the defrost timer till it clicks, it should stop the compressor and start the heater coil. If the heater coil is working, you should here the hissing and popping sounds from the inside coil area as the heater is melting the ice. This should take about 20 minutes for the defrost cycle. The timer should turn the compressor back on after the 20 minutes. If the icebox does not turn back on after 20 minutes, turn the defrost timer till it clicks. The compressor should be back on and the inside fan. If you have to turn the defrost timer to get the icebox to come on, then the defrost timer is bad. Now I hope this is not confusing, but we are only touching the surface of what could be wrong. I use to work on them and I hated to tear one apart to repair it.

8. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

There is also the chance that you have a leak and lost your freon. I have no idea how to check for that, except process of elimination...try all the previous suggestions.

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

It's not working - turn it off. Running generates heat through friction. If the heat-pump that removes heat from the fridge is not doing its job, then having the engine running is just making things worse.

I've seen two different fridges recently with the same symptoms, two different causes.

One was a busted thermostat - easy fix once they had the part.

The other had lost the coolant gas. There was a leak, they replaced the part (tube) which was leaking, then replaced the gas. YOU CAN'T DO THIS FOR OLDER FRIDGES, because the gas has been outlawed (CFCs damage Ozone layer). If there is gas available it's been scavenged and salvaged from other old equipment, refrigeration mechanics will likely want to keep it for their commercial customers, and anything available for home users will cost so much you will likely be better off buying a replacement fridge.

10. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

i everyone my ref. had a frozen defrost fan and we ordered a new one-thank you for the help-you sure miss it when it is gone--Nancy

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you have the old fan motor just work a few drops of motor oil into the bearing area by lubing and then forcing the fan to rotate by hand. Once you get some oil worked into the bearing the shaft will free and the fan motor will work again.