Refridgerator freezing things

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by BlessedMom, May 30, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

okay, we have a newer - like in the last 5 years.
    We moved and took it with us from our old house.
    It won't fit in this kitchen so we use it as an extra in the garage. My son stores his eggs out there.
    Well the last few weeks it has been freezing everything out there.
    I don't get it. It is set below 1 on the dial, things should not even be cold in there!
    Any ideas on what I can do? We are a family of 6 and really need this fridge!
    We only have a small one in the house.

Thanks,
    Lori

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

does it sound like thew compresser never shuts off could be a worn compresser

3. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

It could be something as simple as the thermostat switch behind the dial.

My mom had a similar situation with an ancient fridge - a good sharp tap to the dial generally cured the problem. Although I had to "fix" the fridge several times, it finally straightened out by itself ... and the last time it needed "adjusting" was 15 years ago!

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

5. WIPPdriver

WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

Don't put anything on the edges against the sides or back, need to let the air circulate inside. We had the same problem with the kids cramming food in to the frig. and causing the the food to freeze.

Marlin

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'll guess the evaporator coils need to be blown out with compressed air or there's somethign blocking the flow of air around them.

7. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

If this is a frost free unit (a little fan blows the air around, into the freezer compartment and fridge compartment, instead of a freezer with exposed coils)...

Look along the bottom edge, under the door for a small knob, it's the defrost timer. It usually has one of those idiot proof knobs that can only be turned one way. Use a quarter and turn it slowly until the compressor shuts OFF.

The idea is to start it into a defrost cycle, free the coils of ice and regain normal air flow through the fridge. If the contacts are cooked on the defrost timer, it'll turn (sounds like a clock motor running), but won't defrost the coils. REPLACE the timer - taking it apart and cleaning the contacts will last about a week. ($12-$25 for the part, simple to install)

I realize this sounds far fetched, but when I functioned as a maintenance man for several apartments, we'd lose 100 defrost timers before we ever lost a thermostat - and the units would either freeze everything in the fridge compartment or thaw the freezer, depending on how the ice built up on the coils. A SURE sign/sound was the fan hitting something after you closed the door Another sign is uneven cooling throughout the fridge compartment - part freezes, part seems abnormally warm - again, blocked air flow over the evap coil.

It may take an hour to fully defrost the unit, 'cause the drains usually freeze up too. Be careful about using hair dryers and "fast thaw" methods, a single drop of water can be your last...

It could be the thermostat, but on a unit 5 years old - unless it's been damaged ... I think they usually 'fail' in an off position, meaning the unit wouldn't cool at all.