Refinishing a wood floor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

We have beautiful oak floors with walnut pegs in our living room, dinning and hallway. They have become quite worn and we are considering refinishing them ourselves.

Where do we even begin? We don't have a Homedepot or Lowes, so I can't go ask them questions. The floors have a small seam/crevice between each piece of wood, which is now filled in with dirt etc. We need to clean that out, but what do we (or do we?) use to fill this crack in with before putting down the polyurethane (sp).

I wanted to take pictures, but my 12 yo broke my digital camera. :Bawling:

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Describe what you mean by 'worn'. The fix can go from stripping old wax and scrubbing with a scotch pad all the way up to resanding. If you aren't very handy or have never done it I'd be leary about running a sander, they can gouge a floor before you know it. If just scuffed the scotch pad will buff it pretty clean. Make sure all wax is gone before you put any type of sealer on the floor. When sealing vacumn multiple times, wipe with a tack clothe multiple times and strain the sealer. Unless they are mega cracks I would clean them out with a knife blade, screw driver, ect. and just vac up the dirt. They are probably cracks from the flooring drying out over time and shrinking. Trying to fill them will last for a short while, then as the boards swell in humid weather you've got the filler cracking ect.---just another mess. Accept it as part of the floors character. The other answer is to pull it all up and reset it, way more work than I'd want to do, but if you did, and they were real floor boards they could be run through a planer to clean them up like new, but then you probably loose all of the nice walnut pegs.

3. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I don't know about the floor, but I wanted to say, "Hi." I might be confusing you with another "Quiver" I know from WTM boards, but I don't think I am :)

Small world, huh?

Bumping up Quiver's post,

:) RedTartan

4. Quiver0f10

"I don't know about the floor, but I wanted to say, "Hi." I might be confusing you with another "Quiver" I know from WTM boards, but I don't think I am

Small world, huh?

Bumping up Quiver's post,

RedTartan "

Hey! Thats me , I love WTM :) It is a small world ! "Hi" back at you.

5. Quiver0f10

Farmer Willy,

Our floors are in pretty decent shape, except the finish is worn off in spots. So, I think they just need to be stripped, cleaned and repolyed. I don't think we need to sand them down. My husband wants to hire someone, but I am hoping to save a few thousand. I just don't want to mess up, these floors are really beautiful. Thanks for the tips.