refigerator rabbit hutch????????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tat, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tat

tat Active Member

Has anyone ever heard of removing the doors from an old refrigerator and laying it on its back (in the shade) to keep rabbits in?(covering with hardware cloth). I know some people would not consider this, I am only trying to get opinions. I thought of this as a way to cage rabbits on a temp. basis 6 weeks or so. I know it will be tough to clean but I can use the freezer and split the frig and have 3 areas to use.

What do you think?

Tommy

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

My first thought would be... "poor ventilation!" A bit too closed in on 4 sides plus a solid bottom. Comparable to digging a pit in the ground to keep the rabbits in. Both methods would encourage coccidiosis.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

3. tat

tat Active Member

Thanks Pat!

I appreciate your reply, I have never raised rabbits and I am trying to get by with a minimal investment. I will definately not try it. How does the steel cage situation work? How many does can I put in the same cage? I am planning on starting out with 2 does and of course 1 buck. I will be using them for meat for my family not commercial use.

Thanks again !

Tommy

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Tommy...

First thing you should do is to buy yourself a decent book on raising rabbits, heheheh. Wire cages are recommended and preferably one adult rabbit per cage. Rabbits are highly territorial animals wherein two bucks will fight, two does will fight, and a buck and doe will breed.... constantly! Even when weaning litters, one needs to keep a close watch as they attempt to establish pecking orders in the new "territory." Then, from 10 weeks on, the fighting begins in earnest as the hormones begin kicking in. Occasionally, you may be able to keep two sisters together, but there will be sisterly spats from time to time.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in my state, wooden pallets are free for the taking and make ideal scrap lumber for building wood and wire hutches. You can also check your local nickle ad paper for used cages and/or hutches. I've seen hutches for as low as $5.00 and come complete with the wire and ready to use. All wire cages do best if suspended from rafters. Racks don't work because anywhere the cage touches the rack, that's where the poop will pile up and making it very difficult to clean. Care must also be taken with a wooden hutch because rabbits have been known to *literally* "eat themselves out of house and home." Rabbits will chew on anything wooden.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

5. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Part of the concern of poor ventilation, as Pat pointed out, would be the fact that the rabbits could slowly asphyxiate over the course of 6 weeks. When processing young rabbits for feeders lids on containers, provided that the containers are deep enough, are not even necessary as carbon dioxide (CO2) is heavier than oxygen and immediately sinks to the bottom of a container. As long as air movement is minimal the CO2 does it's job without any problem at all.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

To me, "in the shade'' implies being outside. My first thought was that a fridge on it's back, outside would quickly fill with rain water.

7. tat

tat Active Member

I should have been more clear, when I said in the shade I meant in the barn.

Thanks for your reply

Tommy