Redneck Snake Breaking

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, May 9, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

So the well repair guy found a snake today by my fence and was nice enough to kill it for me, but I was left with a 3' sidewinder carcass. I hung it on the gate with the intent of burying it later.

Now, most of my animals know all about snakes. But the new aussie/heeler puppy has never been so enlightened. So I look over and she's got the snake in her mouth. EEP. It had been, shall we say, disarmed, but that's sure not a good sign for the future ...

It's still at the twitching phase.

*evil grin*

So I took the snake, wired it to the fence charger, soaked the ground, put it on a piece of styrofoam, sat down on the porch, and waited for her to "rediscover" it. By the noise she made, I take it that snake loses much of its appeal when electrified.

Then I unhooked the snake, threw it on the ground, "touched" it myself, "yelped" and ran away. Let her think it zapped me too. Then I tried to DRAG her back to the snake ... couldn't have gotten her close to it with a come-along. *L*

Hopefully, the impression will last ... I think from now on, though, dead snakes will be hung on the electric fence. *evil grin*

My dog who was bit last year started to come close to it, by the way, realized it was a SNAKE, and calmly walked away. Good boy.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well if your not wanting a Dog to mess with them thats fine.But I want my Dogs telling me that there is a Snake around.Plus the little one can kill a Snake so fast it isn't funny.

Lets just say around the house I don't have a Snake problem.

big rockpile

3. Cygnet

Well, I honestly don't mind the nonpoisonous snakes and I'd rather the dogs not hurt them. They're better rodent control than a cat.

For poisonous snakes, I have things like sidewinders and diamondbacks. They can be rather nasty if they bite a dog -- most dogs live, but it's a damaging, painful bite. And some die.

And the guinea raises a ruckus if there's a snake around, so no problem finding it. :)

Leva

4. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I hope the neighbors were watching and giggling their pants off.

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

"I hope the neighbors were watching and giggling their pants off."

Yeah, they probably think it's a new religion!

6. Cygnet

Hey, I'm a single woman living alone, who has pack goats (and a homemade wood box in the pickup bed to transport them), who raises fancy poultry, and who already has a reputation for being eccentric. *grin*

It would only help my reputation.

Leva

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I fully do not believe snakes should be killed like that. It is cruel and inhuman or maybe in-snake-num. :bash:

A wild snake should be roped with red silk twine and ridden until it is house broken. Side saddle is not accepted in most states. Riding in circles will tame most. :yeeha:

Once broken a wild snake can be used for pest control, as a watch snake or to lay across a leaking door bottom to prevent drafts.

Snakes and tricity don't mix, it can be a shocking subject. None have ever proven out to be three-way. Even queer snakes are relatively unknown in the USA. Therefore never attempt both AC / DC on any of them. Showing your dog this weird treatment is probably not recomended by the AKA. Dogs all think those funny things in the wall with two slots and hole are to be sniffed with care. Always smells like ozone. Do not confuse their brains.

8. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I love snakes, always have. Used to see 4+ ft rat snakes and hog-nose snakes all the time....until we got guineas!

9. Cygnet

I don't mind the non-poisonous ones. But we have sidewinders and other rattlesnakes here and they can do a heck of a lot of damage to a dog or livestock that gets bit. Bites are usually survivable, but range from "nuisance" to "expensive vet bills" to treat. Nevermind what it would cost to treat ME if I got bit. I'd rather my animals NOT be curious about snakes and I'm not ashamed to kill them.

Leva