Red teat and firm udder

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sherrynboo, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Daisy kidded on Friday and the baby only uses one side. On the other side, Daisy has a double nipple and I guess it is too big for baby to use so it got engorged and red. I milked it out this morning as much as I could. It is still red and her bag is still quite full but I know it was uncomfortable for her to have me messing with it at all. If I keep milking it out twice a day will the redness go away or do I need to give her some antibiotics? She is feeling fine and eating well so she does not seem to be bothered by it unless I mess with it. I would really prefer not to use the antibiotics unless really necessary. Any ideas anyone?

Sherry in GA

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

If it is engorged and red I would milk it out completely for her twice a day until it is no longer sore. As the kid gets bigger she will start to nurse that side also. At least that is what mine did. For the first two weeks Bella would not touch the double nipple side, I think it was jst too big for her. Now that she is two months old she nurses both sides and has for quite a while. I would milk her out because I use my goats milk anyway. If you were not going to use her milk then do not strip her out as she will continue producing. Watch for mastitis and/or blood in her milk. You really do not want an infection there. I am sure someone else can probably give you more/better advice than I have. I am pretty new at the dairy thing myself. Good luck!

3. Sherrynboo

Thank you! I was hoping I was doing the right thing. There is no blood in the milk so far so maybe I caught it in time.

Sherry in Ga

4. nduetime

Sounds like it but like I said there are a lot more knowledgeable folks on this forum than I. I did exactly what you did except I milked her out almost to the point of stripping and mine came out ok. I saw the baby pic on your other thread, she looks like a doll!

5. Sherrynboo

This is my first one so I am new to this milking business. I know I didn't milk it all the way out as her udder was still large. I guess I need to bump it a bit like the baby does to let more milk down?

Sherry in GA

6. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I'm new to milking, and my challenge was a grumpy 4 yr old with small teats and a giant bag of milk I could not get out. I think between my likely painful at first milking, her fear of me as I had to practically hog tie her, she never really let her milk down.

Familiarity and time took care of that, and now she's only a little grumpy. For your goat it's probably discomfort and/or unfamiliarity with milking preventing her milk from letting down. It will probably just take time, and from the other feedback, you're doing the right stuff.

Mine (Fiona) gave a little over a half gallon daily before I bought her, and now is back up to a half gallon, so I didn't lose much with time.

7. nduetime

If you massage the udder a little bit she will let down a bit more milk and relax some. I try to use a little udder balm when I am done milking and massage her real good, then I get a couple of squirts for the kitty too. Of course, then I have to clean her teats again but I like knowing I took all I could so she will keep on producing for me. By the By, if you milk her twice a day and do not strip her she will be ok as her little one will do the finals for you. I do not worry so much about it when the little ones are still nursing, just keep that one side milked out good.

8. Sherrynboo

We got a lot more milk out tonight. I was having a hard time getting a stream started so my husband decided to try. He milked her like he had been doing it all his life! ( Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night!) We got about 1/2 a pint out. Poor Daisy! One of us has to hold her by her horns and bury her head in our laps and then hold a hind leg up! We are all learning as we go around here! Hubby will be building the milking stand tomorrow. We were thinking we wouldn't need it until the baby was weaned so he was in no hurry to build it. Now after having to restrain her physically he is ready to build it pronto! I imagine that will be another fight altogether too! Oh the joys of homesteading, hahaha!

Sherry in Ga

9. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

That milking stanchion will make your life easier. I milked for over a week without one -- and my grumpy doe. I asked a lot of her.

My goats also needed hoof trimming badly, and I thought I'd need another person to help, but clipped into the stanchion I've been able to get almost all their hind legs in a couple of days, and a couple forelegs, too.

10. Sherrynboo

I think it will Idahoe! Once she gets used to it anyway. All three need to have their feet trimmed too.